No announcement yet.

I want to take my gf to live with me

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to take my gf to live with me

    I currently live in Texas and my girlfriend live in Puerto Rico, I'm 19 and my gf is 18, i would like for her to move in with me because I'm tired of her constantly telling me how her mother constantly toys with her mentality just flat out treating her poorly and unfairly, she works, studies, babysits her sisters daughter, and pretty much does all of the house duties single handedly and her mother still talks to her like she is worthless and doesn't do anything right, her mother and most siblings treat her very poorly and i can't deal with all of their unnecessary nonsense towards her. I would love for her to move in with me or even with her sister that is currently living in Florida, however her mother will undoubtedly make it next to impossible for her to leave and i know the adulthood age in Puert Rico is 21 so is there anything that i could realistically do?

  • #2
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to NRS through our online forum-it takes lot of courage to do so especially in times of uncertainty and not knowing how to best approach a situation. It is definitely very good-hearted of you to consider getting your girlfriend somewhere where she is safer and more appreciated by the people around her. No one deserves that type of treatment by their family, especially their mother or siblings. And, as you mentioned, she does everything she can to help out her family, while also going to school and working. That is no easy task, especially when no appreciation is being shown to her by her family. An option to consider would maybe be helping out your girlfriend with the green card process, so that she could come to the U.S. legally and live with you or her own sister in Florida. You could use her sister as a resource in order to help you along with knowing how to approach the process, since she is living in Florida currently. In the meantime, it might be helpful to have your girlfriend reach out to a trusted family member or friend outside of her situation at home, just so that someone is aware of what she is dealing with on a daily basis. And quite possibly, maybe even move out of her mother’s home while completing the applications process as a safeguard. This way, she will not have to endure any more issues at home and being maltreated every day. If you should have any further questions about what was mentioned above or would like to talk with us further, please do not hesitate to reach out to NRS directly at 1(800)-RUNAWAY or 1(800) 786-2929.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp