•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod8
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there –

Thank you for reaching out to us here on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you out through your crisis, there are others going through something similar can also get the help that they need.

Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate. You also might be able to reach out to your school or talk to someone in admissions if you are still going to school, they might have a copy of your birth certificate on record from when you registered in school the first time. It might come down to you just having to renew your ID first and then going from there to get other documents that you need.

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Can i get a. Birth certificate with a expire id

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry you are having such a difficult time getting ID and not being able to do the things you want to do without it. It may be beneficial to contact or visit your local DMV office and ask what you can do regarding this matter. In some states, you are able to use a lease, a W-2 from place of employment, or a paystub to prove identification and get a new ID. There is also the option of going to your vital records office in the state you were born in order to get your birth certificate. It seems it would be difficult in your current circumstance (if you were not born in Idaho where you currently are) but, if you are able to get to that vital office, that is an option for you. It is great you are motivated to start working and doing the things you want to do. There are a few employment programs in Idaho you may be interested in, if you should feel you need some assistance. We would be more than happy to assist you with looking into some options as well as assisting you with locating your local DMV or vital office. Please, feel free to give us a call at any time by dialing our 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live at 1800runaway.org.

We wish you the very best.

Guest replied
    I need help no type of identification or photo id or birth certificate or licence.....

Hi, i just turned 18 and i need identification so I need help I've been trying to get my birth certificate and ID for the past 6 months so I can get a job and get somewhere in life I've been trying so hard and it all just seems like a circle everything needs one of the other to get like ID needs birth certificate birth certificate needs form of ID social needs form of ID passport needs ID and i lost all my info do to a fire and my parents are all the way in California 1500 miles from me cause I'm in Idaho and they don't have any thing for me and I can't really ever get a hold of them but I just wanna get my life together and start working and doing things......
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 02-14-2019, 06:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out in a time of need- and we will try our best to help.
    To answer your first question regarding your friend getting in trouble: we are by no means legal experts, but we do know that your friend runs the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. This is no automatic, but would result in your guardians pressing charges against your friend.
    Regarding trying to get an ID- your best bet is to call into your local DMV and ask what type of documents are needed. We can’t say with certainty whether or not getting a job would prompt a visit from the police, but if your guardians filed a runaway report and you were to encounter police, they would have to return you home. Everyone’s runaway situation is different, but if you were to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY we could explore options and make sure you are safe.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and ran away from home to a different state and I'm staying with a friend who's over 18. He wants to help get me a job but I don't have an ID and he says I can't get a job without one. I know my SS but don't have it or my birth certificate on me.
    How much trouble could my friend get into for letting me stay with him and how could I get my ID to get a job? And if I do get a job will the cops find out and take me back to my parents?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I'm from Indiana

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission.
    For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency phone number to the police or a legal aid agency or office to gain answers for legal questions.

If you would like to talk more about your situation contact us at 1-800- Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm from Indiana and I have a same case with someone else I read about on here, I'm nineteen and my mom, since my real dad is in jail, has been refusing to help me get my documentations, and on other accounts has been neglectful to my brothers and I. She let her boyfriend at the time burn all of our documentations, and ever since then hasn't tried to get any of the documents acquired. I am seeing if I can take her to court, and I'm not a runaway she kicked me out. So I just need two questions answered, Can I take her to court for refusal to help me get my documentation to further my education and start working? Or can I not?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about how much trouble you are having trying to obtain birth certificates. There is some information about obtaining IDs on the National Network for Youth website: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids/
    They might also be able to help with birth certificates. Perhaps that link can assist you. You may also be able to contact the Vital Records office of the city you were born in to get a copy of your birth certificate. We have heard some people have success that way.

Best,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Daughters birth certificate

Hi im trying to get my daughter's birth certificate but I do not have mine and I do not have an id and her father is not on anything and is not around but I can not get my birth certificate because I was in foster care and between foster care and my aunt getting guardianship of me we have no idea where my birth certificate is or could be ....please help I have tried everything

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It’s great that you’re trying to help out your friend in this way – it can be hard to know where to go to get ID when you have none, but let’s see what we can do.

Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one for you.

Hope that helps! If you have any further questions you can always post again, chat us via our website, or call us at 1-800-786-2929 – we’re open 24/7 and are fully confidential. Good luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm asking for a friend. He's an adult and was born in Louisiana. His parents never got him a birth certificate. He needs some form of ID. He was homeschooled and has no school records at all. He needs his birth certificate in order to get his social security number and driver's license. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Hey my grandma has never had a birth certificate

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    You might consider talking with someone from the state’s office for records in your area.
    You can also try online with the social Security office and see what else might be acceptable to get a duplicate copy of their card. Same thing would probably be necessary for a Birth certificate.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey my grandma has never had a birth certificate or Id and she can't get her Id without birth certificate and she can't get birth certificate without Id so what do we do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. It sounds like your daughter wants to return home but has no id. We have a program called home free in which we partner with Greyhound to help youth return home. Please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) for more information.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X