how to get birth certificate without id

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No id or birth certificate.

I have a friend who was born in California but was raised and has lived in Africa his whole life. How can he get a copy of his birth certificate so that he can get his SSN, Passport and other forms of ID.

Comment

• Re: how to get birth certificate without id

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on behalf of your friend. It sounds like you are really trying hard to figure out his options. It’s awesome that he has your support.

While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally in some possibilities for your friend. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps he can get in touch with the local county clerk’s office in which he was born and they might be able to tell him a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain his birth certificate. Other things that he can try is to contact the vital recorder office in the city and state he was born in to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us to talk further- we’re here to support you the best that we can.

Best,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

[QUOTE=;2576]I don't have my state ID yet or my drivers license, and I don't know my social security number, but I want to get a copy of my birth certificate, but you need an ID, and to get an ID, you need a copy of your birth certificate. So I'm kind of stuck. Do you know of anyone that would help me get one of those items so I can get the others?

BTW, I do have picture school ID's, but they are expired.What do I do?Please Help??

Comment

Hey there,

It sounds like you're at a standstill with getting some paperwork. There are some earlier posts in this thread from other users that shared some information that may be helpful.

Additionally, each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one for you.

If we can offer and resources or further support, we encourage you to reach out to us by phone for more immediate support and services.

Good luck and take care,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• no identity

I'm a 29 yr old women never worked a day in my life. my family always moved place to place. they never got me a birthcertifaction or ssn card. i didn't even no wat it was till i tried to get a job do to my little one & not wanting to follow the family traditions of no identity freedom . now i need to get all identity stuff for me and my little one. i can't get an id card w/ out a birth certification. how do i go about this?

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that you’ve had such a difficult time breaking away. We understand that getting identification can be tough, especially if you don’t have many of the necessary documents. A good way find out what you might need would be to reach out to the agencies where you’re trying to get documents. There are some posts in this thread that might help you decide how to best approach your situation.

Beyond reviewing this thread, you can try reaching out to the organizations that you’re looking to obtain documents from. Perhaps speaking to someone at the Social Security Administration for a copy of your social security card, or the county clerk’s office in the city that you were born to help you identify documents that you can use to obtain a birth certificate. Additionally, it may help to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state to help you decide where to begin. If you don’t have this information, you can reach out to us via phone 24/7 at 800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you all the best. Stay safe!

Comment

• please help

I'm 17 years old and my mom refuses to gibe my my social my brother is 16 and she refuses to give him his. I am a senior and need a job and also because I need one to apply to college they expect us to have one , so how would I get an I'd ,face to face not online?? I have a copy of my birthcertificate , and I know my social # but I don't have the actual social card ??

Comment

• Re: please help

Hello, thanks for contacting us today. It sounds really unfair that your mom refuses to give you and your brother your social security cards so you can’t get an ID. You might try to call your local DMV and ask if there are any other documents you can bring in place of your social security card, or you could try and replace your social security card. We are not experts and the Social Security Administration procedures vary from state to state. So you might want to call the local social security office, and ask about what documents you need to obtain a replacement social security card. It is great that you have your birth certificate since it proves your age and your citizenship. Usually, you need at least 2 forms of ID to get a replacement social security card, so you might want to ask what other document you can bring in that will work in place of a state I.D.

We are sorry you are going through this, and we are here for you. If you would like to talk about your situation more and explore your options please call or chat us.

Best wishes,

NRS

Comment

• never had a birth certificate but only ssn if its not a fake

Mom is alive but will not give me my proper identity went through school on fake documents never a birth certificate I need my identity can you help

Comment

• Re: never had a birth certificate but only ssn if its not a fake

Hello and thanks for reaching out on our forum. We are not legal experts; however, we seem to get questions about obtaining an ID or birth certificate quite often. Our understanding is each state has its own process for applying for a birth certificate or other vital record. The CDC National Center for Health Statistics offers information http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm for all 50 US States as well as Washington DC and US territories. If you are under 18 it is likely that your mom would need to apply for a copy of your birth certificate. If you are 18+, it may be possible to have another family member apply. We hope this gives you a start and wish you the best of luck!

Comment

Hello,

I am writing to help out my son. He is homeless and had all of his important documents like his social security card, his birth certificate and his ID. He has an old ID but it is expired. He lives in Hawaii and is tired of being on the streets and wants to come home but I am unable to buy him a plane ticket to get him home because he has no ID to get on the plane. I am finding that it is not easy to get replacements of these documents without having these documents. Since my son is over 18, am I, as his mother, able to request these replacement documents for him? Is there a way to get this done? I read that we might be able to get his birth certificate without having to have ID. I am in desperate need of help for this situation. I want to help my son since he has finally reached out to me asking for my help. I want to be able to bring him home so he can start over and make a good life for himself. Thank you for any help you can offer to me. ~Mom~

Comment

• Reply: how to get birth certificate without id

Hello,
                          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We would be happy to assist you with your situation.
                          You might try searching online for duplicate birth certificate information in the county and state where your son was born. You might also consider contacting the hospital where he was born.
                          The Hospital records department may be able to assist you.

It might be helpful to us here at NRS to have more information about your son and what’s going on.
                          You might consider contacting NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929).
                          We are here to listen and here to help.

Take Care,
                          NRS

Comment

• my brother don't have a birth certificate and i really want to help get it

Our parents don't have identity book,I and my brother we were born here,He is 19 years old new doing grade 12 without a birth certificate and identity book and that is very painful to see him having no future,We desperately need help

Comment

• RE: my brother don't have a birth certificate and i really want to help get it

Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. It’s brave of you to reach out during your time of need.

Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate. Sometime according to the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records website it looks like a sibling or grandparent could request your birth certificate if neither parent is an option. This depends on which city and state you are from, so trying looking up the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records for your state. There are also times where homeless youth shelters help youth that have no ID or birth certificate get one through their program. Another idea would be to contact your past high school to see if they have any of that information recorded somewhere in their records from when you first enrolled.

Hope that this information helps!

Comment

• the mother does not have an ID.. can i the father get my child a certificate?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X