No announcement yet.

how to get birth certificate without id

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cousin is 21 he has not been living in the U.S for over 15 years and due to a lack of current documentation he is unable to reenter the U.S. The only proof he has that he was born in the U.S is an Apostille Birth Certificate and an expired California I.D. He cant get an new ID without a Birth certificate nor a Birth certificate w/o an ID. What can I do to help him???

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out for your cousin, he is lucky to have someone like you in his life. Sounds like he is in an incredibly complicated situation, and it seems so unfair that he is unable to return home. Depending on his state, there are alterative documents he can provide in lieu of birth certificates and state I.D.s. You might look to see what his state’s requirements are by clicking on this link and going to the field guide: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids.

If this is an immigration issue where your cousin is not being allowed back in the country, he might seek legal assistance or contact the ACLU https://www.aclu.org/about/affiliate...ect=affiliates. He have state legal aid resources that we can provide if you or your cousin calls or chats us.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you would like to talk more or if you need any additional resources.

Best,

NRS

• How can i get my birth certificate without my I'd because when I went to get I'd they told me that I needed new birth certificate because it has black tape and ript what can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate. Sometime according to the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records website it looks like a sibling or grandparent could request your birth certificate if neither parent is an option. This depends on which city and state you are from, so trying looking up the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records for your state. There are also times where homeless youth shelters help youth that have no ID or birth certificate get one through their program; if they have one. Another idea would be to contact your past high school to see if they have any of that information recorded somewhere in their records from when you first enrolled and give you a copy.

If you have any questions about this you are always welcome to give us a call here at any time of the day. We are here for you 24 hours a day. Hope that this information helps!

• I ran away from home at age 16 but am now 17 I don't have my birth certificate to get my I.d and how can I in role into school if I live with somebody else

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey!

We are actually not a legal resource so we aren't familiar with the process of how to get a birth certificate at 17 years old. Your parents or guardians may still be needed in order for you to request that information from a court. That might also apply to school as well. In most cases you need your parents or guardians to enroll you in school, but you can usually check with the school directly to see if that is true. This website is a good place to start to find out how to obtain a birth certificate in your state: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm

Best of luck to you,
      NRS

• I'm hoping you may provide me with some sort of information. My brother lost his wallet with all documentation ie; Texas ID Card, SS card, and BC. I was able to get his BC but I am having so much trouble getting his ID and SS Card. I have gone to the SS Office and they tell me they need his ID Card, I go to the DMV for the ID and they tell me he needs his SS Card; so Im running around in circles here. I figured maybe perhaps the IRS office could help me obtain a doc with his info on it but, as it has been years since he last filed, he can not remember what his last earnings were so therefore, dead-end there as well. I am feeling so stressed and he is not very computer savvy and his phone etiquette, well, is somewhat mediocre. With that said, I feel like he is a nobody and NO ONE will help me getting him back on the grid, so frustrating, I don't know where else to go and if he get ill to the point of hospitalization, how is that going to work...Can you please help me. I'm desperate here. Thank you so much...oh by the way, he is 52 years of age.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out for your brother.

From our knowledge, often times the DMV and SS office can accept other formal documents when people are missing their ID and SSC. If you go to this website: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids and click on “field guide” it will show all the alternative documents that are accepted in each state.

Hopefully this helps, and please do not hesitate to reach out if you are ever in crisis!
      Best of luck,

NRS

• Hi, I have my social security number. I don't have and form of Id other than that. I am 16 and I am trying to get a copy of my birth certificate and I don't have contact with my parents.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS! Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate. Sometime according to the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records website it looks like a sibling or grandparent could request your birth certificate if neither parent is an option. This depends on which city and state you are from, so trying looking up the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records for your state. There are also times where homeless youth shelters help youth that have no ID or birth certificate get one through their program; if they have one. Another idea would be to contact your past high school to see if they have any of that information recorded somewhere in their records from when you first enrolled and give you a copy.

We also offer conference calling between youth and their parents, if you needed help contacting them. We are open 24/7 at (800) 786-2929.

Stay safe, NRS

• I'm 16, 17 in November. I've been trying to leave but my mom took my passport, and my debt card, because she says it's my way to runaway, (without it there's nothing really I can do ) and has always hid my birth certificate and social in a safe. I have only seen my social once. My boyfriends family has been wanting to take me in, because of abuse in my family for years. He lives across the country. And idk how to do anything without my birth certificate or social.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We appreciate you sharing a bit about the situation with your mom.
      You mentioned abuse going on at home. That is definitely not ok, and you never deserve to be harmed. You said that you have a boyfriend who is supportive of you, that is great. There is an organization that helps youth find ways to get their custody transferred to safe adults or family members. It’s also a hotline where you can report abuse, Child Help (800) 422-4453. We are able to contact them with you, if you call into our 24/7 safeline at (800) 786-2929.
      We’re always here so you’re never alone.

• Hello I have a question my cousin need a state I'd but her father don't have a state I'd how can she get one without needing her father points . She 16 years old.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to try to help your cousin. It sounds like she is in a tough situation. Every state has different requirements for what you need in order to get a state ID. Follow the link for a guide that shows what documents a minor needs in each state to obtain a non driver ID card: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids/

We hope that this is helpful for your cousin! Please give her our number in case she would like to call and talk about her situation.

• I'm honestly in a similar situation I'm not on good terms with my father and my mother recently passed away and I'm staying with my siblings at the moment I'm 17 going on to 18 in 4months and I don't have my ID, Socal or Birth certificate but I was wondering would my highschool have a copy of my birth certificate to get me started so I can move a step forward on getting my information

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a difficult situation right now. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out to us.
      It sounds like you are looking for help getting your birth certificate. School counselors can be of great resource and you can certainly reach out to them for help. You might look at this link to see what other documents you could use to obtain your vital documents: https://www.nn4youth.org/wp-content/...Copy-FINAL.pdf. We are available 24x7 at our confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us from 4:30 PM – 11:30 PM CST. We would be happy to talk to you, explore your options and provide any resources.

We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod7; 10-11-2017, 10:51 PM.

• I'm a runaway and I don't want my parents to find me, I'm turning 16 in July and I want to get a job, how can I do that without my information? And if I can't, how do I get my information AND use it without my parents finding out my location?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you've ran away and you are looking to work without being found. We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally.

If your parents filed you as a run away, and a possible employer does a background check on you, that runaway report would show up on that background check. You might look for employment that does not require a background check so they cannot see you are listed as a runaway. If we knew more about your situation, we might be able to brainstorm more options for you. Please call or chat us if you would like to talk about your situation in detail.

Each state has different requirements for obtaining I.D.s and other vital documents. You might see what your state's requirements are on this link: https://www.nn4youth.org/wp-content/...Copy-FINAL.pdf.

Know that you we are here 24/7 by phone if you ever do want to talk to someone. Here at NRS, our main priority is your safety and we truly want to help.

• I have a friend in a very similar situation but he doesn’t even have a student I’d. What a frustrating situation to be in. No-one has the answer.
    you need an ID to get a birth certificate or SSN card. You need a birth certificate to get an ID ... what a messed up circle.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. You are right, it is a frustrating cycle for obtaining vital documents. In most states, there is documentation you can use in lieu of another vital document to get your ID, birth certificate, or social security to card. To see what your friend's state's requirements are you might look on this link: https://www.nn4youth.org/wp-content/...Copy-FINAL.pdf.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us or give your friend our information if you ever need additional assistance. We are here 24/7 by phone!

Best,

NRS

• I am only 16 and I don't have any documentation. I have a driver's license that I obtained before I ran away, but I don't have any other documentation. I know that I need SSN to apply for jobs and a birth certificate to get a driver's license renewed. What do I need to do to get this documentation?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello –

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to get into contact with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum, we are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We do want to say that it must be very hard for you to have to go through all of this. It sounds like a very stressful situation for you at home. Hopefully by supporting you there are other that are reading through this thread that can relate can feel helped as well.

Now this is not something that we normally deal with, so our knowledge on the subject is very limited. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificate and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what is acceptable to obtain your birth certificate and social security card.

Sometime according to the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records website it looks like a sibling or grandparent could request your birth certificate if neither parent is an option. This depends on which city and state you are from, so trying looking up the Department of Health’s Office of Vital Records for your state. Hopefully either you have another family member willing to help you get your birth certificate and/or other identification. If you do end up reaching out to your school, they might have a copy of your birth certificate on record from when you registered in school the first time. So it might be helpful for you to ask about that as well.

Best of luck!

• I have undergone Sex reassignment surgery from male to female.now i want to change my name and also i want to make a new birth certificate.My parents are passed away..so how can i change my documents?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. We are so sorry to hear about your parents, and being unable to change your birth certificate after sex reassignment surgery. You seem like an incredibly resilient person for going through all of this.

We are not legal experts or experts on the topic at all but we want to help. It seems like changing your birth certificate varies due to state's individual laws, and could require going to court. This link is a list of all state laws regarding changing your birth certificate after sex reassignment surgery: https://www.lambdalegal.org/know-you...x-designations. You might also reach out to the Trans Lifeline at 1-877-565-8860 or www.translifeline.org. They might be able to answer your question better than us.

We hope this information is helpful and we wish you the best of luck. Please call or chat us if you ever need!

-NRS

• I'm 17 years old. I'm from Oregon. My parents made me move out and refuse to give my me passport and birth certificate. I have a job but I can't cash my checks without picture ID and now I've run out of money and my checks are expiring. I'm supporting my 3 months old baby and can't cash my checks.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We’re sorry that you’re in this difficult position; no one should be forced to move out and much less without documents. It can be difficult to obtain a picture ID without docs, and you need it of course as soon as possible to cash you checks.

In most states, there is documentation you can use in lieu of passport and birth certificate to get your ID, a new birth certificate, or social security card. To see what Oregon’s requirements are, please check out this link: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids/ (see page 34 of the PDF for Oregon; it includes the application form you need to submit for a new certificate).

Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-runaway, or chat us if you need any additional assistance. We are here 24/7 by phone to listen and to help!

Best,
      NRS

• Can i use my work id to get my birth certificate

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thanks for posting on our forum today! We are here to support youth with all kinds of issues. We aren't sure of your age but we can provide some general information that hopefully you find helpful.
      There is some information about obtaining IDs on the National Network for Youth website: https://www.nn4youth.org/learn/resources/state_ids/
      Perhaps that link can assist you. You may also be able to contact the Vital Records office of the city you were born in to get a copy of your birth certificate. We have heard some people have success that way.

Thank you again for reaching out! We are here to listen and support you. Reach us anytime at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck getting your birth certificate!

• I have friends who nedd an id but they don't have a certified copy of birth certificate. How can they get certified copy without id

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out. If you are over 18 and don’t have access to your birth certificate, you can request a copy at your local vital records office. If you are under 18, your legal guardian should have your birth certificate. If you want to talk more specifically about the situation to brainstorm some options, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929.
      We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X