Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ran

She was hitting me and screaming at me, she told me she wanted me to die. I had to leave, could I go to jail if I don't go home, and if the cops get me can I explain to them I was getting hit?

Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you were quite overwhelmed by things at home and you mentioned being harmed. It sounds like you went through a very scary and stressful situation with the person you were living with and you left to keep yourself safe. By no means do you deserve what you went through and we are glad to hear you were able to get yourself away from that situation. If you need help finding a safe place to go please don't hesitate to reach out to us by phone or live chat.

You mentioned feeling worried that you will get into trouble for leaving which is understandable. You did not share your age or who you ran away from, so we will try to answer your question generally. If you are under 18, your parent or guardian can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal and you will not be arrested. If you come into contact with law enforcement you can definitely tell them that you do not feel safe returning home. We can't predict exactly what would happen next. Most likely police would contact child protective services (CPS) and CPS would then work with you to decide on next steps and a plan to keep you safe. You always have the options to make a report to child protective services on your own as well. Child Help is an organization that supports and advocates for youth in dangerous or harmful situations. You can speak with an advocate more in detail about the reporting process by contacting them at www.childhelp.org.

We want you to know that you are not alone in this and we are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. You can contact us directly for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X