No announcement yet.

Adoption reversal

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adoption reversal

    Hi, I’m 16 and I’m adopted by my grandma with my 3 other siblings. The relationship between me and my grandma isn’t working out and I want to go back to my moms and I grandma refuses to let me. How can I leave?

  • #2
    Hey there, and thanks for contacting us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

    We're sorry to hear that your relationship with your grandma isn't working out, and that she's refusing to let you go back to your moms. That said, it does sound like grandma has formally adopted you and your siblings, which means she's considered your legal guardian and ultimately gets to make the final decision on where you're living. If at any point you decide to leave home without her consent, it's possible that you'd be reported as missing or as a runaway with the police. It's also possible that anyone who wants to help and allows you to live with them, even for a short while, might be at risk of facing legal consequences for harboring a runaway. And while we can't tell you how to leave because that decision is entirely up to you, those are definitely important things to consider.

    In mentioning that your relationship with your grandma isn't working out, we're wondering if it might help for you to have someone to talk to, like a therapist or a counselor. Talking with someone might give you the opportunity to feel supported and heard, but it could also help you and your grandma work through whatever issues you're having. A lot of therapists offer individual therapy, but also family therapy sessions, where conversations between you and your grandma can be facilitated and mediated by the therapist, allowing them to be a little more constructive, and ultimately working toward an end goal.

    If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, talk through your options, or try and find some connections to local therapists in your area, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

    Take care.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif