No announcement yet.

I need to get out of this house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to get out of this house

    Hey, I'm 17 years old and I live in Illinois, in the U.S. My mother is emotionally and physically abusive and I am not comfortable or safe here. DCFS has gotten involved multiple times but they say it isn't bad enough to get me out. My plan right now is to move out on my 18th birthday. I'm slowly taking important things of mine to a friend's house so that when I leave I won't have to do as much. I'm looking for a job but my parents refuse to let me get one. And I don't have a car or anywhere to stay when I do leave. I might be able to stay with my sister's mom until I get on my feet but that's not ideal. If anybody has any advice for me it would be appreciated. i need help

  • #2
    Thank you for sharing a little bit about what is going on at home. We are so sorry DCFS has not been helpful to you. Once you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.  
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp