No announcement yet.

Abusive Stepdad

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Abusive Stepdad

    A, I love how you don’t have to make an account to post.

    B, I want to run away. My mother is in a serious relationship with a guy much older than her. He verbally abuses me. I don’t want to get into details but my mom often joins in. I want to run away — Either leave or kill myself. I’m been through some ******** in the past, & I have severe anxiety, PTSD, & depression from it. I’ve only told my best friend because my ma would just call me dramatic & shut down my validity if I ever tried to bring it up, I know it. She LOVES doing that. My father is transphobic (I’m genderfluid) so he’s not an option. I don’t know where to go, my bff’s house is already jam-packed full. I have no other friends & I’m not allowed to date or have a love interest by either of my parents.

    I’ll be turning 12 this month, but I’m incredibly young-looking & could easily pass as 7 or eight. I’m a female & I have recognizable scars on my body from self-harm (but I usually cover these up & NOBODY knows).

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Be safe and stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove