Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parent of an 18 year old

Hello. I am the parent of an 18 year old in Mississippi. My son snuck out of the house leaving his 2 vehicles and sent in a text message he was 18 and moving out. I am still paying for his private school tuition and he only has 5 months until graduation. What are my options on getting him home before he messes up his whole senior year? I have call the justice court here and they can’t help but told me to call the police dept. I reached out to the sheriffs dept since I live in the county and they said there is nothing they can do because he’s 18. When I look it up online it says legal age in Mississippi is 21 unless emancipated law code 1-3-27. And feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you care about your son and his well-being a lot and it must be really frustrating to have agencies like the court and the sheriff's department fail to help you out. We aren't legal experts but you are correct that a youth is considered a minor in the state of MS until they turn 21. Since most of the country lists 18 as the age of majority, sometimes police departments do not pursue 18-year-old runaways the way they would younger teens. You could try requesting to speak with the local police captain to see if they can put pressure on their squad to more thoroughly follow up on the runaway report.

In terms of school, you may want to speak with your school's administrative office or social worker to get more information about him finishing his high school education. We know that it can be overwhelming and exhausting to have to take this on and you aren't alone. If you'd like some additional support you may want to check out Team HOPE which is a support group for parents run by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. You can check them out by going to https://www.missingkids.org/ourwork/support/teamhope or by calling 866-305-HOPE (4673).

We wish you the very best of luck.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X