Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just feel bad

I love my parents very much, but I keep screwing up. They don't take it out on me, they take it out on themselves, and I can't bear to see them like this. They constantly say they I will be the death of them, and I always do regular kid stuff, like roll my eyes, but now it's escalated to feeling feverish, after a long fight, and to be honest it's taking a toll on me too. I constantly am having panic attacks. I'm 11 yrs old. I'm very aware of the legal issues presented with running away, I did my research. I tried running away once, but my dad got me in his car. But now we just had a fight and I don't think they're feeling too good. I want to stop making them mad but some of it is just, well I can't. They are always saying they are bad parents. The fights are tearing the family apart. My brother who is always watching the fights is always left in tears, and I can't see him like that. What do I do? Thanks for listening to my long rant.

Hi! Thanks for writing to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We know it can be stressful to reach out for support. It sounds like you and your family are going through a challenging time, and we’re glad you found us as a resource. It sounds like you make mistakes, and we want to remind you that we all make mistakes sometimes and that’s okay. So it’s important to establish realistic expectations for yourself, and remind yourself not to expect perfection – which is unattainable and unrealistic for anyone at any age.

Sometimes talking to a trusted adult, like a teacher or school counselor can be helpful when we’re struggling so you might consider that as an option. Also you might consider asking to participate in family counseling as sometimes that can be helpful when a family is feeling stuck with communicating and expectations of each other. It might be worth trying to use the Grounding Technique of focusing on each of your five senses when you’re experiencing panic or anxiety, this can be helpful to ground oneself in the present moment.

It sounds like you’ve done your research about legal issues and running away. And though we’re not legal experts, we can explore options with you, offer emotional support, and offer resources in your area. If you would like to do any of that you are welcome to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thanks, but how? I come from an Asian family where it is just listen to your parents. I'm also very introverted. I'm extremely scared of becoming one of the other kids who post on this forum. I don't usually open up about my feelings, so if I ask about counseling, they will be sus of me and I'm not sure how they would react to me being on the Runaway Helpline Service.

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Opening up about one's feelings can definitely be uncomfortable and we understand that it is not at all an easy thing to do, especially when cultural norms are acting as additional barriers. It might help you to have an adult advocate for you in order to help your parents understand that you want some help. Something that we can offer is we can mediate a conference call between you and your parents to help you articulate why you feel like a therapist could be beneficial to you.

If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore what other options there might be, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X