I wanna runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna runaway

Hi! I'm 15 years old and I live in New Jersey. I've been planning on running away for months, but I've thought about every individual consequence and where I could get necessary items to survive this harsh weather. I've done my research on what would happen if I run away and would they return me to where I reside. I hate it here. My parents are so strict and overbearing to the point where it gets mentally and emotionally exhausting. I've had my few shares of wrongdoing that my parents have you know punished me and grounded me for it, but I know they don't have faith in me anymore. My family was raised up in a Christian and very strict upbringing, all my life I've been abiding by multiple rules set by the church and at home. I went to a private Christian school from fourth to eighth grade, I never had a chance to hang out with friends and I was bullied throughout those years. This year has not been it for me. Yes, I have done actions that result in harsh results, that's the only reason I deserve to be treated the way I am. But it's been like this for years. I did the crime I paid the time but nothing's changed. It's still judgmental and hostile here. They treat me everyday as if I'm a criminal. My mom is the one who runs the show. She has my father around her finger and whines to get her way. She expects me to be so holy and to not do any wrong, and if I slip up once I'll never hear the end of it. She always brings up the past when we get into arguments and makes me feel like I've never lived down my mistakes. My father is a people pleaser and will do whatever you want just so you can be happy, but as soon as my mom is around it's whatever mom says. Yes, he defends me when he knows my mom is wrong and he doesn't know how greatly I appreciate it, but it would be nice if he can at least put himself in my shoes and see how much damage all these rules are doing to me and my siblings. I feel like I'm the one who has to abide the rules the most, they pay attention to me more than my older sister and younger brother. I don't even ask for much. I don't want makeup I don't want money. I wanna live my teenage years. I wanna hang out with my friends and go places. I wanna have sleepovers and watch movies late at night, and go the beach, but deep down I know with the parents I have it'll take sooo much effort to convince them, especially my mom. I never open up to my parents emotionally because of how judgmental they are. They constantly start drama with people who genuinely care about me, for example my aunt. She's helped me sooo much dealing with my parents but now I'm not even allowed to hang out with my aunt like that. It's personal reasons between my parents and aunt and they take it out on me. I'm not even allowed outside my house to even chill on the steps and if they do allow me to, they're constantly peeking through the window to see what I'm doing. I'm tired of living like this. I already know of a place to stay I know how to get food and take showers. I'm just afraid that of any police officer were to find me and return me, my parents would hit me and take away whatever's left. I don't want to return back if I runaway, and if they catch me and return me home I will runaway again. I just don't want to bother my parents with paying for me to return or to hear anything about me. I want to disappear. I never want to see my mom again.

Hello, Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline today. We are really sorry to hear that you are going through such difficult times with your parents. It must feel frustrating when they do not seem to trust you or allow you, as you put it, normal teenage freedoms. You say you had been able to spend time with your aunt but your parents have put an end to this. If you are still able to communicate with her, are you comfortable sharing your thoughts and feelings with her? Sometimes having a trusted adult you can talk with about your parents can be very helpful. It sounds like you may be in a new school this year, at least online if not physically there. You could see if there is a school counselor available to share your experiences with. We are especially sorry to hear that you were bullied in your old school. If you are able to give us a call, we are here to listen and help with this issue. Our lines are open 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You say you are planning to run away. While we are not legal experts here at NRS, we can tell you that running away is not considered a crime; it’s a status offense. If your parents report you as a runaway, the police could pick you up and take you home. You say that you are concerned about your parents hitting you if this happens. You don’t say if any abuse has occurred in the past but, if it has, you can contact Childhelp. This is the national child abuse reporting hotline. Their number is 1-800-422-4453. The National Runaway Safeline also offers a conference call service. Our liners serve as mediators between the young adult and their parents. This can help by setting ground rules that keep the conversation civil. If you are interested, you can call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can take it from there. You talk about having concrete plans as to how you will take care of yourself if you leave home. It’s very important to us at NRS that you are safe. We can offer resources in your area if you are interested. Again, we are here to listen and to help. Please give us a call. Take care, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X