No announcement yet.

always fighting with parents

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • always fighting with parents

    I'm 12 years old and and a girl. ever since covid my parents and I have always been fighting. they tell me how I feel and tell me stop crying too. they get mad at me for being scared (I have chornic anixety). they are really overprotective. they get mad at because I have ocd. they lie to me. they compare me to these friends I have. they give me the slient treatment when they are mad and much more that is just the gist. I've been thinking about running away. what should I do (it would be really hard because we have secruity cameras).

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      thank you so much for your adivce! living with someone else might work however I really don't know anyone who would be willing to have me live with them and my parents would not let me live with someone else. calling child protevtice services I am a little nervous about doing that because though my parents are super mean to me they have never hit me (they say they are nice to me because they don't hit me and they buy me clothes). Emancipation though I kinda want to know more about how it works and the laws and stuff. I live in New York state so I would need the laws for new york state on that. thanks again


      • ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey again,

        We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but from what we can see, the state of New York has no formal emancipation statute. Generally speaking, it looks like youth need to be able to prove independence or failure of your parents to fulfil their parental obligations. It may be best to work with a legal aid group to see what your next steps would be in the emancipation process. You can find a legal aid group near you by going to

        Unfortunately, we cannot communicate more than 3 times via forum post or email. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

        Stay safe,

        We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

    • #4
      thanks so much.


      • #5
        my mom slapped me on my back. it hurt but it didn't leave a mark. due to that reason my thearpist (yes I go to a thearpist don't judge) says she can't call child procetive services because it didn't leave a mark. things have just been even worse lately I'm not gonna get into to detail due to having to be secrtive about contacting you guys which is hard because my mom barley lets me out of her sight. anyways I have a family thearpy session next week. but they don't work. my parents say yes and stuff but then they don't change at all. I'm kinda stuck on what to do. you can please give me advice. thanks


        • ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we want you to know you are not alone.
          We are non-judgmental and confidential; no one should ever judge you for seeing a therapist. We are glad you have a therapist to help you and hopefully they are providing you support.
          Your therapist may have been given false information, or may not fully understand how to report abuse. You or your therapist can report abuse even if no marks are on your body. You can make a report by calling Child Help at 1800-422-4453. Sometimes it helps to have evidence of the abuse but it is not required to make a report.
          Also you mentioned things not changing during family therapy, which can be super frustrating and misleading. One option to consider would be to address this during the family therapy and address your concerns about your parents agreeing and then after doing the opposite.
          We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more please reach out. We are available 24/7 by phone or by chatting with us.
          Best of Luck,

      • #6
        thank you again


        • ccsmod8
          ccsmod8 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there -

          You're very welcome!Hopefully by helping you through your crisis, there are others reading through the thread that have similar issues and get help as well. Please do come back to chat or call us any time at (800)-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to talk.

          Best of luck!
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove