No announcement yet.

if i run away how do i deal with college applications?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • if i run away how do i deal with college applications?

    so, i'm planning on leaving home as soon as possible, after christmas at the earliest, sometime in june (hopefully) at the latest. i'm 18 as of yesterday and a high school senior. my problem is that i don't know what to do about my college applications. i've applied to several already, and plan on applying to more. when i first applied i used my current home address, as i planned on staying home until i left for college. unfortunately in the time since then i've come out to my parents as transgender and they haven't taken it well and for the sake of my mental health i need to leave as soon as possible. what do i do about the applications? should i stay until june to get letters from colleges, or is there a way to reroute the mail to a friends' address?
    also, what do i do about my fafsa? my parents have begun to fill it out, but i don't know if they have continued to work on it since my coming out. for the 2022-2023 school year, i plan to get married to a friend so the both of us can file as independents on our fafsas (they are in junior year right now, so we can't get married this year). is that even legal? if my parents refuse to fill out the fafsa for the 2021-22 school year what do i do?
    thanks so much,
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 11-21-2020, 05:47 PM. Reason: removed personal id.

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out, it seems like you are in a difficult situation now that you came out to your parents but still need a certain amount of support from them on the fafsa for college. You don’t deserve to be prevented from pursuing your future because of their pettiness.
    Generally, you should be able to forward your mail through the post office, or update your college applications with a new address to send correspondence. Usually you can check your application status online as well if you can’t get access to mail for other official correspondence from colleges.
    The fafsa can be harder to deal with as usually you do need your parents to fill it out. You might be able to talk with your highschool counselor about your concerns with the fafsa, or when you get accepted to a college talk with a counselor or financial aid officer there for additional help.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove