friend ran away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friend ran away

I know someone who has run away from their home of age 17. They were having a difficult time at home and at times felt like committing suicide was the only option. As of right now, they are staying at a friend's house who is willing to care for them. They are still attending their online school. They message me every day to let me know they are fine. They didn't actually tell me where they were staying, I just know it is a friend. They also don't want me to let their mother know the overall location they are at, as they actually went into another town. Their mother contacted me and asked if they had contacted me and I had to say no, the mother actually said she was kind of relieved to know that at least she knew they were not going to harm herself. I don't know what to do. I have not told anyone, as that person has requested. They also have diabetes but they had already planned their runaway therefore, they took their medications and everything. The father does not seem to care about their kid leaving. I also believe they are not ones to report to the police. I am just worried if I am doing the right thing.

We’re glad you reached out to us. We’ll try to help. It sounds like you are a very good friend concerned about your friend and their wellbeing. It’s good that they let you know they are doing well every day. It is unfortunate that your friend felt like they had no option to get away from the difficult time at home except suicide or running away. If they were abused they might want to contact the police or the CPS to report the abuse. They might also want to contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 or childhelp.org to live chat and find out what options they have. It seems that the parents are not very concerned about the safety of their child since, as you say, they are not the kind to report to the police and the mother was relieved to know that they were not going to harm themselves. You are to be commended for your interest in your friend’s welfare. It must mean a lot to your friend that you keep track of her wellbeing and that you are able to keep their whereabouts confidential. You might want to call us at 1800RUNAWAY to talk about other options or you might want to tell your friend to call to discuss the situation. Good luck to you and your friend.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X