Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm almost 18 and I'm at my wit's end, please help.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm almost 18 and I'm at my wit's end, please help.

Hi. My mother has been incredibly verbally and mentally abusive to me for a while. Lately it's been worse due to the election and the fact that at the end of October I had to do inpatient. Her husband is an alcoholic and yelled and throws things. I'm just so tired of all of it. I don't want to die anymore but I need to get out. I've had a friend offer me a place to stay when I turn 18 but I'm scared she'll find out were I am and try to drag me out. The last time I ran away she punched me in the throat and dragged me by my hair. I'm terrified and I have no idea what to do.

Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your mother and her husband are not treating you in an appropriate and respectful manner. It makes sense that you are tired of it and that you would like to leave that type of environment. While it is always inappropriate for an adult to be physically violent with you, once you turn 18 that might be considered assault and you could call the police on her if she attacked you or tried to force you to live anywhere. In almost all states (except AL, MS, and NE), when you turn 18 you are legally considered an adult. That means that your guardian no longer has the right to determine where you live.

Your situation sounds complex and it may be a good idea to reach out to us over our live chat or over the phone in order to talk more about what is going on and what options you have. Please don’t hesitate to reach out at 1-800-786-2929 or 1800runaway.org.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X