Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 15 and i'm sick of my family but don't know what to du unless I run away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and i'm sick of my family but don't know what to du unless I run away.

I'm 15 years old and I live with my parents and my sister (12). We have always had arguments and such like a usual family but it has also gotten to be much more than that. Although my parents never directly insult or abuse me, the family dynamic is terrible and to me it feels as bad as abuse. They try to be good parents but are overprotective, oppressively, stifling, and just not good people. They get very angry and aggressive at the slightest things, especially my dad, and they yell and curse a lot when they get mad. They are very controlling, barely letting me be a normal teenager sometimes. They do not listen to me and I rarely get to express an opinion without them getting mad again. They don't seem to trust me at all or like me sometimes. My sister also adds to these situations or is very disrespectful and ignorant, although I hope it is just her age. Its also bad when she fights with them or they fight with eachother, cause none of them back down and they are very relentless. I am so f*cking sick of all the stuff that they do and that I have to put up with. It affects my mental health very negatively which has caused me to do bad things I know I shouldn't. I wish I didn't but I've started to hate them, and I really need to be able to go and live somewhere else, but I'm not sure if there are any possible legal options right now and I don't want to run away or get anyone in trouble for taking me in. What can I do??

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We’re so sorry to hear that you’re dealing with a tough family dynamic at home. It sounds like it’s really painful for you and you feel like you don’t get to express yourself freely. It’s not easy to reach out for help and look for options. We’re glad you did. Since it doesn’t sound like you feel heard at home, one option we have here at the National Runaway Safeline is a conference call. You and your parents could call in at the same time, and we could make sure that you are able to communicate how you are feeling and come up with a plan together for you all to work towards a better situation at home. Sometimes it helps to have some support when talking to adults, and we are here to help you if that’s what you want to do. If you do decide to leave, it sounds like you’re worried about legal consequences for running away. We’re not legal experts but running away is considered a status offense. That means that it’s something that is illegal only because of your age. If you choose to leave home and you encounter the police after you’ve run away, they would likely bring you back home. If you decide to go this route, feel free to give us a call to find shelters and resources or discuss how you will keep yourself safe during this time. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we’re totally confidential. We’re sorry to hear that your mental health is being negatively affected. You mental health is so important it’s good that you’re looking for ways to take care of yourself. If you decide to give us a call, we can help identify free or low-cost counseling services near you if you think it might help to speak with a mental health professional. Thanks for reaching out with your story. Give us a call if you want to talk through options for next steps or just discuss the situation. We’re here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X