I want to run away but stay in contact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to run away but stay in contact

I need distance in between my parents and I, but I want to stay in contact. I want them to know I’m ok and just need distance. I don’t want to hurt them, though. My friend said if I do, I can stay at their house, but I’m not entirely sure. I’m not being abused or anything, it has just felt hostile lately.

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a tough time and we want you to know that you are not alone. It is challenging to want space away from a hostile environment and not hurt your parents in doing so. It is good that you are thinking through this big decision. If you decide to leave home without your parent’s permission, they would be able to file a runaway report with the police. A runaway report is considered a status offense, and you can be returned home if found by police. In general police usually don't actively search for a runaway but they will follow up on any information your parents give them. This means that your friend’s family could potentially get into trouble for harboring a runaway, which may be something to discuss with your friend. If you want to get a break from your parents, thinking about other family members or friends that they may give you permission to stay with for even a day or two may help you get a break and make it easier to handle how you are being treated.

If you need help talking through having a conversation with your parents or want to discuss this further please do not hesitate to reach out again. If you need additional support communicating with your parents after leaving, we can help you speak to your parents via a conference call or through our messaging service. We are 24/7 and are here to listen and provide support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 and through live chat at 1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X