Family Issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Issues

I’m 17 years old and will be 18 in January. For years i’ve had trouble with my mom and she hates my independence. I’m always getting punished, she’s always taking my things and just recently she kicked me out. The locks are changed and I haven’t spoke to her in a week. I was staying with my friend and her family welcomed me and gave me the option to live with them as long as I obliged by the rules which is no problem because they’re fairly easy. The problem is my family. My aunties want me to live with them and change my entire life around. I would have to quit my job and have no social life at all. It’s my senior year and because of covid i’m not at school but hanging out on the weekends and going to work are the only times I can be social. I love them but I really don’t want to move and a big 360 with my life right now. How do I convince them I will be in good hands and it’s easier for me to live there than with them?

Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you have been through a lot and it is good that you have a safe and welcoming place to stay right now after your mom kicked you out like that. It seems like your other family is also worried about you and wanting to support you by also giving you a safe place to live but that going with them would create even more complications and involve uprooting your live and potentially dragging things out.
    As for how to talk with them you know them better than we do, but it might help to ask them exactly what they hope it will accomplish to live with them instead of with your friend’s family. Opening up that dialogue and making them feel listened to will help them feel like you really did think about their proposal even if you have already made up your mind. Their goals might align with yours in many ways, but being clear that you are getting everything you feel you need at your current place might help. The last point might be to say that after you have finished highschool, or turn 18, you will reconsider their offer and see if it’s a better fit then to get started on the right foot.
    If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X