No announcement yet.

I’m 17 and need to get out

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 17 and need to get out

    I’m 17 I turn 18 september 2021, I have a plan when I turn 18 how I’m gonna leave my house but it’s been bad lately for me. I’m trans and just told my mom and sister, they make me hate myself so much. The looks the words it makes me wanna die. My dad is there but he’s just an asshole. I have a friend in Connecticut who’s willing to help and I’d have a safe place to live, a job, etc. it would just be a better situation. Can I get in legal trouble for running away? Could they?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like your family has not been supportive and its gotten more stressful since coming out. You do deserve to experience acceptance and it's understandable you would be feeling overwhelmed. The Trevor Project is a crisis line specifically for LBTQ youth and it could be another resource for you and way to find support during this difficult time.

    You mentioned already having a plan for moving out once you turn 18, but you are thinking about leaving sooner. While we are not legal experts we can speak generally on the legal issues involved. If you leave home without permission from your parents as a minor, they can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense .This basically means your parents can ask police to assist with returning you home if they where you are staying. While it is not very common from what know, there is a risk that whoever you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway. Now, there is not a universal way that police respond to runaway reports. Some police are more lenient and might not enforce a runaway report for someone your age, meaning they might not force you back home. The police department where you live would have the most specific information regarding this. You can anonymously call the local non-emergency police line to ask an officer how they would handle a runaway report for someone your age.

    Once you turn 18 you will more than likely be considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live. This means you can move out without a risk of your parents reporting you as a runaway and there would not be a risk of legal consequences for anyone you stay with.

    We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at

    Stay strong,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove