No announcement yet.

I’m 13, and want to leave my house for some time and stay with my grandparents.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I’m 13, and want to leave my house for some time and stay with my grandparents.

    As of recently, my mother got sectioned and placed into a mental hospital, until she is deemed fit to return home. During that time, tensions have been high in the family and social services have been on our case about our care, and wether our father can take care of us. Inside my dad is a good person, but recently he has been incredibly angry and rude and as of yesterday he started shouting at me, so I told him to be quiet and he he kicked me around the house and would cover my mouth. I tried to push him off me, so he did it again, this time slamming my face and causing my nose to bleed a lot of blood. He then screamed at me because I was getting it on the floor. He then told me that I need to leave the house because I am a threat. So, today I began to pack my bags ready to be dropped at my grandparents house. However, he then said that he couldn’t take me, as social services would then think he is not fit to look after us, and me and my siblings would end up in a care home. Is there a way I can stay at my grandparents house for a short while so that my dad can calm down about what happened and I can have a break?

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way.
    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your dad’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your dad. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp