Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my mom so bipolar?

Ever since I was a really little kid, after my parents divorced, my mom was always unstable with her emotions and would either be extremely hostile or unnervingly kind towards me and my brother. Since she won custody against my dad, he doesn’t live in the same country anymore. The rest of my relatives are in a different continent, so she’s the only person I have to rely on. Sometimes I’m scared to talk to her because I don’t know how she’s going to react, and she has these outbursts of sadness or anger and I’m not sure how to react to them. On one side, I feel so bad for her and I feel like it’s my job to take care and be there for her as her child, but I hate that I have no stable person to rely on when I myself need help. I have a really hard time talking to people, and I recently moved to a new school, and I had a nervous breakdown after school. She didn’t do anything and just said that it would get better with time, no matter how many times I tried to open up to her about my anxiety. She doesn’t physically abuse me, but I’m always on edge when I’m around her and I don’t know what to do at this point.

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that your mom’s diagnosis has brought so much instability into your world. It sounds like you have done your best to support her and take care of her, but it has felt pretty overwhelming given the transition to a new school. What you can do really depends on what you might be comfortable with. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to share some options you may have available to you.

One option might be to explore whether your school has a social worker or a school psychologist that you might be able to speak with. It sounds like you want someone to talk to that you feel you can trust, and it has been hard with your mom’s illness. If you would like to speak with someone outside of your school, organizations like the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), available by phone at 1.800.950.6264, by texting NAMI to 741741, and by visiting www.nami.org , and the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), available at 1.877.726.4727, and by visiting www.samhsa.gov , can help you identify resources in your area to help you cope with the anxiety you have been experiencing. You can also feel free to give us a call if you need anything.

Whatever you decide, please know that we are here for you. We can do our best to help you stay as safe as possible as you explore your options for support. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat by visiting our website at www.1800runaway.org . We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X