Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a 16 year old and hate living at home.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a 16 year old and hate living at home.

My mom has always never been the nicest or very productive around the house. As I've been getting older I've started to realize what she does isn't always the best. I've learned how to take care of my personal hygiene mostly by myself and learned how to be successful in school. I don't have a phone because my mom refuses to let me have one, even when I've offered to buy and pay for my own. But yet my parents expect me to function the same as any other teenager with one. She replies to all my questions from the simplest of things to the more serious with a rude or snarky comment or answer. When this happens I try and still be nice, but sometimes I can't stop myself and tell her what she's doing is unreasonable. She then proceeds to be meaner and will never ever be reasonable. My dad always says he knows she's not in the right, but because she's mom I have to be better. I'm always the one to be expected to better. Over the years it's started to hurt me more and more. My house is always really dirty because she can't clean. I'm tired and hate living like this. Always afraid to talk to my mom about most of everything. I want to be able to have freedoms and cleanliness that other teenagers my age have. There are also many other things that have happened that makes my want to run away. I would like to know what the best options would be for me. Can I run away and live on my own with maybe a friend my age and then when I turn 18 can I continue my life as it would of if I hadn't without going home to my parents?

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    Just so that you know we are not legal experts and only can provide some general legal information when it comes to someone running away or someone assisting/aiding a person running away.
    Someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally.
    In most cases once a runaway turns 18 they are considered an adult and the runaway report no longer applies.

For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.
    If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X