I want to move out to live with my Uncle when I'm 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to move out to live with my Uncle when I'm 18

I'm 17 and I turn 18 in a month and I want to move in with my uncle but my mom refuses to let me move out. I really want to be with my uncle and I would like to ask if can my mom legally restrain me from moving out when Im 18. The thing that has me thinking is that what should I do if my mom physically restrain me from moving out and takes away all of my stuff so I don't get to contact anyone or to ask for help. What should i do in this kind of situation.

Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away and that your mom is not letting you leave, that sounds like a really difficult situation to be dealing with.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe and comfortable is the main priority. Running away is not considered illegal. Once you are 18, you become a legal adult (with a few exceptions in certain states) and your mom no longer has jurisdiction over you. This means she cannot explicitly force you to stay at home. However, this does not mean she won’t try and hurt you in other ways such as by threatening your possessions. We are not legal experts though so following up with your local Non-Emergency police and/or legal services may be the most helpful in this situation.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X