Leaving my home 2 months before my 18th birthday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving my home 2 months before my 18th birthday

Hello I’m 17 but my birthday is in 2 months, I’m pregnant and my boyfriend and I want to start a family and be together since we recently found out we’re pregnant. My father is really mentally/ emotionally abusive. He used to beat my mom when I was younger and when they were together. I currently live with both of them because they thought that was the best decision for me. Ever since I was little I’ve seen my parents argue and get in physical altercations. My mom blames me since I was little for what my dad did/does to her I’ve always been in the middle of their arguments and always made me choose sides my mom says that I don’t love her and that I rather be with my father cause he gives me money and everything I want, when I choose my moms side my dad says that I don’t appreciate everything he gives me and does for me. Now that I told my parents that I am pregnant my father said that I will not leave his house until I’m 18. He has pulled a gun on my boyfriend and even said that he will not let me leave even if I’m 18 if I don’t move closer to him (my boyfriend lives on the country side) everyday is something new with him. I’m so tired of dealing with all of this, I don’t know if I can leave since I only have 2 months until my birthday. I’m stressed every day and I’m scared that this will harm my baby. Please help .. I don’t know what to do.

Hi there,

We really appreciate you reaching out to us. It sounds like you have gone through a lot for a really long time, and with your baby on the way you could be feeling like leaving is your best option. You do not deserve to be put through emotional and verbal abuse by a parent who is supposed to care for and support you. It seems like you are already doing what you can to keep your baby safe.

We are not legal experts, however we do have general knowledge about runaway laws. It is not illegal to run away before you are 18, however parents and guardians are expected to file runaway reports with your local police. You definitely know your family better than anyone else, so it could be a good idea to consider whether or not you feel they would file a runaway report. If a report is filed, this mostly means that the police would be made aware of your status and if you were to end up in their custody, they could potentially return you home. With that being said, since you are so close to being 18 and there seems to be a history of abuse, the police may choose not to return you home. But, it is hard to say if this would be the case. It could be a good idea to reach out to your local, non-emergency police line to see how they may handle your particular situation. If this is something you are interested in doing, but feel like you may need support, we would be glad to call out with you or for you. You could pursue this option by giving us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or live chatting with us through our website.

We hope this information can help you make an informed decision that you feel safe and comfortable in. We are open 24/7/365, if you feel like you need to talk through your plan or there is any other way we can support you, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck with everything,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X