Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abusive Parents? Muslim Family

My parents found a bottle of alcohol under my bed that I kept hidden for a while. They had no idea I drank... drinking is a huge sin in Islam. I know what I did was wrong... I'm underage (19), shouldn't be drinking. But I feel like my punishment was not fair. My father put a gun to my head... he made me look up at it. It's pretty traumatizing. He said if he catches me doing anything like that again, he wouldn't kick me out of the house because "that's too easy", he'd shoot me. This is not the first time he's threatened me. He did it when he found out I dated someone. Thing is, I know he'd NEVER kill me. But it's still scary, you know? What should I do?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about this traumatizing experience. You are brave, and we commend you.
    Firstly, you should know that no one ever deserves to be treated like your Dad treated you—no exceptions! This includes even when you have broken the law. It must have felt very scary and very intense. It definitely constitutes a form of emotional abuse. Given your age, this abuse cannot be reported to Child Protective Services, but if you ever face a threat to your life, you can always call 911 for immediate assistance.
    In the coming days, as things hopefully cool down, you may do well to consider your options for what to do in the future when things get like this. Having a safe haven, like a friend’s house or a family member’s house to which you can retreat may help. At 19, you have every right to leave the home for whatever period of time you deem necessary to ensure your safety. Your parents cannot force you to stay home. When things are scary and your safety is threatened, you can always leave. Brainstorming where you will go, how you will get there, and what you will do in the aftermath will help you confront these abuses in the future.
    As always, we are here to listen and help 24/7. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or instant message us at 1800runaway.org for support and other resources.
    We wish you the best of luck in this trying situation. Stay safe and stay strong.
    Sincerely,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X