No announcement yet.

I want to runaway.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to runaway.

    I am 15, turning 16 next week. My mom is a abusive person and has shown me she clearly has no respect for me. Today, she began to hit me over and over again with the belt with the most power she could but it didn’t hurt as much because my dad used to hit me harder as a child so i guess I've built a tolerance for it. She then proceeded to grab a extension cord we have and began to hit me with it but after the first it I managed to grab it and she kept trying to get it back but I wasn’t letting her. I got up (i was sitting in bed) and continued to pull away the cord from her and she began to punch me but only twice and then scratched me where I had a scar from a minor surgery i had a few months ago and it began bleeding. I went into the bathroom and started to uncontrollably cry while trying to apply pressure and stop the bleed but it wasnt a lot of blood but i bled for a good 7-9 minutes. I’m planning on running away to another state where I’ll be staying with my boyfriend and his family who moved there a few months ago. If i runaway will the cops be able to bring me back if my mom calls them? I know i’ll be safe and doing school there as well as getting a job. Im just worried about me being forced to come back to this abusive house.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appeciate you sharing your story with us. You do not deserve the abuse you have had to endure. You have a right to feel safe where you are living, and we are so sorry that your mother has failed to provide this for you. It was a very brave and smart step to reach out to get any support you may need. We want to encourage you to take any steps necessary to regain your safety.

    While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on your concerns. Because your mom is your legal guardian, she does have some control in where you live. If you leave without permission, she can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that your mom can ask police to assist with returning you home if she knows where you are staying. Police do not usually actively search for a runaway, but they would likely contact people your mom suspects you might be staying with and check those places.

    You do always have the option to make a report to child protective services. You can also tell police why you felt you needed to leave home in the event they get involved. If you have any marks or bruises from your mom's violence, it could be helpful to take pictures as evidence.If you would like to learn more about the reporting process and what it might look like for you, you can speak with an advocate at

    Your safety is very important to us, and it deserves to be made a priority. Leaving can be a scary decision to make, but you are the expert on this and what will be best for your well-being. If you would like to talk more about this or you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We are available for immediate support by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or through live chat at

    Stay safe and good luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp