No announcement yet.

Running away from 10+ years of abuse

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running away from 10+ years of abuse

    I'm an 18 soon to be 19 year old female from New York. I've toyed with the idea of simply running away no matter the emotional pain it'll cost me. I have been in a sexually unnatural/abusive environment since I was in 4th grade and now that I'm a legal adult I want to drop it all behind me and never look back but I don't have any money or even a state ID. I'm willing to go anywhere if it's permanent or just for like 3 years. I'm willing to go anywhere. The price of asking for help not online is too high and risky.

  • #2
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you have been through more than anyone should have to go through, and you are looking for anyway out of your situation. Here at NRS, we truly want to support you during this difficult time. Your safety is our primary concern.

    We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual violence. You do not deserve to have this happen to you, and you deserve to be believed and supported. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living.

    Please call or chat us if you are interested in us looking for those resources. We are here to listen and help however we can.



    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp