No announcement yet.

im 12 and want to run away

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 12 and want to run away

    Hi im Jen im 12 years old and i really want to run away my parents are vary unfair to me and i always have to suffer and get yeld at for when my sister and brother do because my parents like them best because im adopted I have adhd and they take it as a joke call me names and tell me they are glad im not their real kid they got my sister a phone in 4th grade my brother one in kindergarten im in 7th and i still dont have a phone my mom accuses me of stealing when i borrow her pens and makes me feel like a bad person when i try to talk to them about it they yell at me and call me dramatic they used to drag me by my hair and through books at me and hit me i got them to sorta stop that but they are still mean and mentaly slowly depressing me.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Being a nonbiological member of a family can be really hard and you shouldn't be treated differently than your siblings. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

    We care a lot about your safety here at NRS and the hair-dragging and book-throwing cause us concern. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

    You mentioned that you were previously diagnosed with ADHD and that you feel like you are developing depression. It can be really hard to live with mental health issues and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). If you are able to use a sibling's phone, you can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-800-662-4357 or you can go to their site at

    It seems like your parents don’t fully understand the full effect of their actions. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

    If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

    We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

    Stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I am a 12 year old girl and have mentally abusive parents. I’ve done research on mentally abusive parents for almost 2 years, and I’ve tried to fix it as much as I could. I have had suicidal thoughts for 2 years, yet my parents never cared. My parents are sexist, narcissistic basterds that never gave me a chance. My mother is a dictator that will only listen to her own opinion and will shoot down all others. If I ever give a slightly different opinion than hers, she calls me an ungrateful b*tch. My father has always made me uncomfortable and touched me where he shouldn’t. Both have always threatened to harm me, and have attempted to hurt me as well. I understand that physical abuse may be worse then mental, but I can’t take it anymore. They always blame me for their actions, and say that I’m too young to have depression or anxiety and they they are the ones that I should feel bad for. They even make fun of me when I’m having an anxiety attack. If I ever try something new, they make fun of it. But if I’m not doing anything, they call me a lazy ungrateful brat. I’m stuck in a night mare and I can’t get out.

      I live in a small town, and everyone knows each other. I’d immediately get spotted I tried running away. And even if I did escape, I’d have no where to go. I have two older brothers (one is 24 the other is 1 but both agree with my parents and are just as toxic. I really need to escape, please give me advice.


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,

        Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and we want you to know you are not alone.
        You do not deserve to be abused in any type of way and we are sorry you are dealing with that. You do have the right to make an abuse report and there are a few ways to go about doing that. One option to consider would be to call Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and they would be able to help with making a report. You can also talk to a school counselor or a teacher and because they are mandated reporters they can help with filing a report. You can also reach out to us by phone or by chat and we can help you with a report. You also should not be touched and feel uncomfortable in your own home a resource that may be helpful to you is called RAINN. They are the sexual assault hotline and they can be reached at 1800-656-4673.
        Anyone can have depression and anxiety regardless of age some people just may not understand. If you need more resources for depression and anxiety, please contact NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
        We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck, stay strong!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove