Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know where to go

Hi. So I'm turning 18 next year which literally feels so close it's nerve wracking. I need to leave my house. I've gone through so much abuse from my mother and her husband is agressive with everything. I planned on living with my ex after I turned 18 but I don't know if I still want to do that.
    ​​​​​​They aren't kicking me out, I'm leaving. It's not like they are telling me to go- I just can't handle being around them anymore. I don't have a job yet, a car, and I'm not gaurenteed any place to go. I don't have contact with any of my family other than who I'm living with (also because of abuse). I don't have any friends who are adults who could really help me out. Please help.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to NRS. Leaving home can be an intimidating step to take, but just know you do not have to go about this alone. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. From what you shared it sounds like your mom and her husband have been making you feel like leaving is your safest option. Your resilience and strength in this situation is admirable. Asking for help is a great first step to getting any support that you might need as you plan your next steps.

Once you turn 18 you are considered an adult in most states which means you have the legal freedom to choose where you live. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing might be a good idea so that you can think about what will and will not be possible and work for you. It would be helpful to take this time before you leave to start becoming more financially independent. Perhaps beginning the job hunt so that you can begin saving money as soon as possible. If you are able to, also obtaining your vital documents such as an ID, social security card, and birth certificate. Here is a website with more information on how to get replacements if needed, https://nn4youth.org/wp-content/uplo...FINAL-2019.pdf . We know that securing a job and housing is even more difficult now during the COVID-19 pandemic, so you can reach out to us any time by phone or chat if you would like us to search for resources in your area. Finding housing without much support is challenging, but it sounds like you have been doing your best so far by identifying your needs and reaching out for help. We can connect you with youth shelters and housing services in your area which can provide a stable place for you to live while you work toward becoming fully independent. Often these services can offer case management, employment services, and support with continuing education. Alternatively, JobCorps can also be another option for finding housing and employment. JobCorps is a residential program which provides young people with a stable place to live and vocational training, https://www.jobcorps.gov.

We truly want to be a support for you during this challenging situation. We are here 24/7 if you want to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your possible options. Please do not hesitate to reach out anytime by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Stay safe and stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X