Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I runaway and I am somewhere safe, Can my parents call the cops?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ccsmod15
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Uhm this is my first time on here but ive run away alot of times , but i still dont feel safe or happy at home my family make me feel like im useless pathetic and would threaten me with phrases of what they would do to me , my family do not want me here and i dont wanna be here i wanna leave , weve already had "people" tryna help the family b

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I ran away from my house a few months ago and my mom agreed to take me off the runaway list if i went and lived with my aunt so i did. My mom still has legal custody of me but refuses to talk to me and we never hear from her. I'm 16 years old. I don't want to stay where I'm at and my aunt does not have legal guardianship. If i leave and my mother or my aunt calls the police what might happen? I'm in Minnesota

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have been spending a lot of time at your friend’s house in order to avoid spending time with your father and are wondering if there are any possible consequences from that. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If your father did not give you permission to stay with your friend, he may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. It might also be possible that those you are staying with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer any legal questions.

We understand that this may be a difficult situation and we are here to support you during this challenging time. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat us at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are ever at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i am 16 years old and i’m on thanksgiving break, i’ve been spending the past few days with my friend at her house to avoid being home with my father. can he call me in as a runaway? and would it get my friends mom in trouble? (i’m allowed to go home at anytime and they know how bad my situation is)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I wrote to you yesterday about getting physical and mental abused if I ran away once before because of my parents and if I run away again what would happens to me

also I’m like really scared to go home because I always do something wrong and I’m scared there going to punch me again

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like it has been really hard at home for a very long time due to physical abuse, but they don't leave marks, so there is no evidence to show. It's understandable to be afraid of being there; it's understandable to want to leave. You don't deserve to be treated this way at all, and we are sorry that you are going through this.

We work best with people when we can have a conversation together, so we hope you will reach out via chat through this website or on our phone hotline so we can talk this over and work to discover what options you might have. If you run away, your parents may file a runaway report with police, no one can give you permission to run. We hope you will chat us or call us at 1-800-RUANWAY. Both are 24/7 and confidential. We truly hope to hear from you soon.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Would I be able to runaway if I am being abused physically and mentally but there are no marks to prove that I have been hit. This has been happening for years now and there finally getting physical and I don’t feel safe and or comfortable being here

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod9
    Hi! Thank you for reaching out to NRS today. It sounds like you're in a really tough situation. I'm sorry to hear about your circumstances. Your parents do have the right to reach out to the cops and look into where you are if you do runaway. Since you are very close to turning 18, if you are careful until you turn 18 and lay low so that you don't get caught, you would probably be ok making a decision to go somewhere else. Another thought is to get permission from your parents to stay with someone else if you feel comfortable doing that. I'm so glad you reached out to NRS today and I hope this response is helpful. Please get back in touch with us at anytime. We are available 24/7 or call us at 1-800-runaway. Thanks, NRS

Guest replied
    I am 17 about to be 18 in 12 days and my aunt and uncle who I’ve lived with for a year now is sending me back to a toxic and verbally abusing home. Is there anyway for me to wait out till I’m 18 somewhere without getting involved with the law? I’m getting sent all the way across the country in two days and I really don’t want to go.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i am 16 almost 17 in a month and i want to run away. I have been verbally abused and emotionally abused since i was 4 years old. My two older brothers have been physically abused and i dont want it to happen to me. will i be brought back if i run away and report to the police

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Super Moderator

• ccsmod16
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out; we are glad that you did. If you google the term "Age of majority" and the state that you live in, if you are that age or over, they cannot call police. Most states it is 18, so at 12:01 a.m. the morning of your 18th birthday (or whatever the age is in your state) that is the moment you can leave and no one can stop you.
    We hope this helps and if you would like to talk over this or anything else, please feel free to call us at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or chat us through this website. We are here 24/7 to listen and help.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m turning 20 soon and I have job and can somewhat take care of myself but I’m scared that my parents will call the police on me, what do I do?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X