Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I runaway and I am somewhere safe, Can my parents call the cops?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    What happens if I run away from an abusive household and stay with a friend’s family member and my abusive parents call the cops?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    If i runaway to a safer home can my parents still take me back

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I just turned 16 I left home and went to another state I want to get emancipated and go to school but I don't have a birth certificate or security number I have not been called in as a run away and I am now safe and happy where i am what do I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-08-2020, 06:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts but in general most likely once you turn 18 the runaway report would no longer be in effect and you would no longer be considered a runaway. This may differ if you have any court orders of probation or you are a ward of the state.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    If I ran away at 17 and didn’t come back until I was 18 how much time can I get or do I even get in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are thinking about running away because of your relationship with your mom. It must be really difficult to feel as if your mom doesn’t love you and it is not ok for her to try to hurt you or kick you out. Running away is a very serious decision and it is good that you are reaching out to find resources. You mentioned having suicidal thoughts and it is important to acknowledge these feelings. If you ever feel you are in an emergency don’t hesitate to call 911. If you would like to talk more in depth about these feelings, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a good resource to call at 1-800-273-8255. There are only three legal ways to be allowed to not live at home. It sounds like your mother has tried to harm you and kick you out. This sounds like abuse and neglect and she can’t legally kick you out. Because of this, you could report the abuse to the police or Child Protective Services. They would assign you a case worker, and if they deemed it unsafe, you would be removed from the home. Another option would be emancipation. This would legally separate you from your parents. However, this process can be lengthy and is not always available in every state. A final option is you could live somewhere else with your parent’s permission. If you feel these are not realistic options, you can runaway. It is important that you have a plan if you decide to runaway. If you need a safe place to go immediately, you can text the word SAFE and your location to the National Safe Place at 44357. You can also call 211, and they would be able to provide resources such as shelter. You can also call into the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us on the website.

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 16 years old and is having family problems I don't think my mother loves me I have siblings but none of them gets treated like how I do I've been threatened to be killed by my mom she has tried to kill me before and kick me out the house with has caused me to have suicidal thoughts and running away I'm currently trying to run away so I won't be judged in this house but I have no where to go

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’ve been struggling a lot at home my parents cause me a lot of emotional hurting and don’t care about me, but I recently was at a friends and they got mad at me and threatened to the call the cops and say I ran a way but they knew where I was. Are my parents allowed to file a runaway report even if they know where I am and who I am with??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

We hope this information will help in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck, and know you are not alone.
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 17 and ran away what do i do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now.
    We are not legal experts but if you do leave home without permission you could be considered as a runaway. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. What you probably found about leaving and being able to support yourself is emancipation. For emancipation it is a process you would have to go through with the court system. To find out more about the process you can always call your local court house. You can also give us a call for legal aid numbers.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options more please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 16 and currently live in the state of Nevada. My parents are really making me feel insecure and I am really tired of it. I have read up and done some research and it says I can leave home at 16, 17, or 18 if I can support myself. I found a job in Missouri to support myself and be like any other adult but I still want to make sure I won’t get anyone in trouble please help.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X