im 18 not 19

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im 18 not 19

okay my mom is threatening to find a reason to call the cops and have me arrested or put in a foster home. or what she is doing now is kicking me out of the house. im only 18 in the state of Nebraska legal age is 19 she cant do that can she? can i really call the cops on her? what can i do?

Re: im 18 not 19

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard in this time of crisis. It sounds like things are very tense between you and your mom right now. How long has this been going on? Has she ever threatened things like this before? Or has she ever kicked you out? This sounds like a really tough situation to deal with- how have you been coping with this? We definitely are here to help you through this so you can call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

To answer your questions, it does sound like something that you could possibly call the police about. Usually parents are required to care for their children until the legal age of adulthood. If you are not considered an adult in Nebraska at 18, your mother probably can’t legally kick you out. That being said, we can’t predict what the police would do if you called them. Do you think you would want to contact the police in your area if your mom asked you to leave?

Have you thought about what else you might do if she does make you leave? What will you bring with you? Who can you call for help? Whose home can you go to? Are there shelters near you where you could be safe? If you want to talk more about your options and come up with a plan that you feel comfortable with, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X