Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I ran away from home..but was brought back by my parents. How do I get away now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ran away from home..but was brought back by my parents. How do I get away now?

Hi, I am a 15 year old female living in NY and here's my story. I ran away from a toxic environment. Filled with screaming, yelling, judging and hate. I was never physically abused..maybe once or twice, but it's mostly emotional. I have an older friend I can stay with..she's 33 and her mother is 56. They've been almost like my parents for quite some time. If I call the police, can they take me away from here and maybe these women can become my legal guardians? Anything for me to escape the cruelty in which I am subjected to now. Thanks

Re: I ran away from home..but was brought back by my parents. How do I get away now?

Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline and sharing your situation. It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult time and it’s great that you want to help yourself get somewhere you feel is safer. You don’t deserve to be treated the way you have been. We here at the National Runaway Safeline are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are completely confidential and anonymous.
    We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline. What would happen if you called the police varies case by case and state by state. There is the possibility they could be able to help with information on whether or not your friend and her mother can become your legal guardian but there’s no guarantee of that happening.
    The best way to see what would happen in your situation, if you were to call the police, would be to call your local sheriff’s office (on their non-emergency number) and ask them your questions about what the process would be to get your friend to become your legal guardian. You can find your local police station by searching the internet with the name of your town and “police station” after it. If you are worried about them seeing your phone number you can do one of two things, you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can help you call them or you can call using a blocked number from your own phone.
    Calling your local police is one option you can take. Another option could be to come up with a backup plan if your friend can’t become your legal guardian.
    Again we are glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are taking a great step trying to find safety and comfort for yourself. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck. Remember we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-786-2929.
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X