No announcement yet.

17 about to be 18 and need out.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 about to be 18 and need out.

    I'm 17 years old and I live with my dad,I need out but I have no where to go. My mom is in jail and no family is willing to take me in. I have a friend that's willing to take me in but she lives 2 hours away so I would have no way to her for the simple fact I don't have my license. Since I can remeber i've been put through sexual, physical, and mental abuse from both parents. My dad told me if I can't get over what happened when I was younger then I can't live here anymore because my mental health is bringing everyone down. The thing is i've been trying for 5 years to get over it and forget it ever happened but I can't, if he kicks me out I would have no where to go. I'd prefer to stay in the same town so I can finish school here when i'm supposed to, since I was in 6th grade i've been to 14 different schools and i'm a junior in highschool now. I'm not completely sure what to do, I don't have an I.D, my birth certificate, or my SSC. I don't have a job because my dad won't let me have one, what can I do.?

  • #2
    Re: 17 about to be 18 and need out.

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It was a very brave thing to do. The situation with your dad sounds very difficult.
    You mentioned you have been abused; we want to let you no one deserves to be treated that way. It is completely understandable and normal that you are unable to forget what happened to you. You said your dad would kick you out of the house if you can’t forget. We are not legal experts, however, if your dad, who is your legal guardian, kicked you out of the house with no safe place to go, he could get in trouble with the police. You could call your local police station or us to learn more about the laws for where you live.
    You also said you have a friend that is willing to take you in. This sounds like a good option. Public transportation or finding a ride from someone else in your town might be a way you could get there if you are wanting to go to her house. Shelters are another option. If you gave us a call at 1-800-786-2929, we could try to find places you could stay in your area.
    Another option you have could be to reach out to a teacher, school counselor, or trusted adult at your school. They may know of places to stay in your area and could help you with the situation with your dad. They could also be great people to talk to about what happened to you when you were younger.
    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It was very courageous.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove