X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out because of Issues with parents

Okay here goes,

I am 18 years old have been for about a month now. I'm here to share a little about my situation and hopefully get some advice on what to do.
    Ever since i could remember i have been put through either physical or mental abuse most of the time both from both of my parents. They are
    both very well respected by others but when it comes time when there daughter (me) needs something like advice or like latest situation, getting
    a state issued identification card which only costs thirty dollars, i promised i would pay it back when i had gotten paid, but with no surprise
    i got told no and it started a nasty fight. I am tired of all the fighting and negativity that they cause me. I have a boyfriend of 2 years and
    his family has helped me more than i could ever imagine, recently they have discussed with me that i may move in with them if i wanted to and
    i agreed to do so, only problem is my parents will most likely not let that happen. I have a plan for that. My real problem is finding a good
    health care program for my self and what to do to start getting my life on the right track since i have really no family support. Thank you to
    those who read this and offer advise.

Re: Moving out because of Issues with parents

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re glad that you chose to reach out to us for assistance. It sounds like you want to move out of your parents' house to live with your boyfriend's family, and you're worried your parents won't let you. Typically 18-year olds don't need parental consent to move out; your parents can't forcibly keep you in the home.

You mentioned that your parents had physically and mentally abused you, and you're understandably hurt by their lack of respect and support. We're so sorry to hear that, and we want you to know that nobody deserves to be treated that way; everyone has a right to feel safe, especially within their own homes.

One thing that we can do at the National Runaway Safeline is mediate a conversation between you and your parents. If you need help sharing your side of the story with your parents, we can set-up a three-way telephone conversation. We’ll stay on the line and make sure your voice is heard in a calm way. We can help you and your parents understand each other by guiding the call. This is a way to open lines of communication.

Another way the National Runaway Safeline can help you start or improve communicating with your parents is with our message service. You can give us a message for your parents and we’ll deliver it. Having someone else deliver your message may be a less heated way to start a conversation.

You also mentioned that you're most concerned about getting good health care, and we really commend you for putting your health first. If you have employment, you can see if you can talk to your employer about signing up for health care benefits. Your boyfriend's family sounds like they would be a great familial support for you in this area, too.

Again, we're really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation or explore other options that may be available to you, please call or chat with us. We're here to listen, here to help. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck. Remember, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-786-2929.

- NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

True, I agree!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
      x
      x
      Working...
      X