No announcement yet.

Need some advice please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need some advice please

    Hi, I'm a 16 year old who lives in Arizona in hopes of getting an emancipation but my situation is making it very hard. I've told my mom and stepdad numerous different times. But my mom refuses to give any notarized statement and she also refuses to let me move out or get a job. And I need to do so in order to show that I could at least show the court I could live on my own. So how am I supposed to try and get an emancipation if my mom is acting this way towards the situation. And the reason I'm trying to get out of the house is because I've had enough. She's called the cops on me numerous times just to try and get me out the house. She's also searched my room for any phone that I buy because she doesn't want me to have one. Even if I paid for the phone with my own money she still takes it and doesn't give it back. Now she's grounding me until I give her the pass code to the phone and it's been a week thus far. I feel like she's too in control and it doesn't feel fair. She's told me that she doesn't want me in the house and that she doesn't want me, but yet when I'm offering the emancipation idea and willing to pay the fee, she says she won't cooperate. We argue too much and we always seem to be in disagreement. It's not an environment I'd like to be in and I really feel it would be best for me to move out. So now it feels like my only option would be to runaway, and yes I know that this wouldn't be any easier than trying to get an emancipation but I feel like I've got my back against a wall here. And I don't know if my stepfather would be able to make the statement because I'm not even sure if he's adopted me yet. All I know is that he's played that father role since I was 2. So can someone please help me out and give me some advice please, because this is extremely frustrating. Thank you so much for your time and for helping all these other kids with their questions. It means a lot.;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAPABAP///wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

  • #2
    Hi please see our response to your similar post:

    "Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in an extremely difficult situation with your mom saying hurtful things and trying to make you leave, but also not allowing you to do the things you need to file for emancipation. It makes sense that you are feeling extremely frustrated and you are wanting to get out of that environment.

    If you haven't already, you might try to get a legal experts advise on what you should do regarding emancipation. If emancipation could still be an option without her consent, they would be able to tell you more about that. It general depends on your state's laws and your local court's protocols. If you call or chat us, we can look for legal aid resources near you if you would like. However, it is unfortunately true that it would be difficult for you to be emancipated without a job prior to petitioning. You generally need fees and to prove to the court with paystubs that you are financially able to care for yourself.

    It sounds like your mom wants you to leave but does not want to cooperate with you going through the emancipation process. If you haven't already, you might ask your mom permission to live elsewhere if there is a family member or friend who you are wanting to live with. Your mom can give you verbal permission to be there, or she can give someone else temporary custody of you. That might be the easiest way you could leave if she was still wanting to you stay elsewhere.

    Please know that we are always here for you. If you call or chat us we can provide support, try to help brainstorm options with you, and look for resources that might be able to help. 1-800-RUNAWAY;

    Best of luck,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp