Emotional abuse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emotional abuse?

I'm considering moving in with my best friend's family because they've welcomed me into their home as family before. The only thing is I'm scared of my mom, and if I leave, it might be too dangerous to come back and I'd likely have to go to court with her for my emancipation. I'm not sure if I have enough evidence to win a case, and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me figure that out.

Reply: Emotional abuse?

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear that you are still having a tough time.
    It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home and going to stay with a friend and their family. The reason you have not done this is because you fear your mother.
    It would be interesting for us to know what it is about you mother that makes it dangerous for you. Your safety is important.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.

If you would like to speak with NRS about your situation please call: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with NRS at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Emotional abuse?

long story short i'm 13 and i wan't to run away because i'm getting talked about from my step dad and my mom. i have several people who will let me permanently stay with them.my aunt who lives in Atlanta (i'm in south Carolina)and a male friend that is pretty much like an uncle to me... i look up to him. And i'd trust him with my life.
      he's even took me to school a few times when i missedthe bus. or even picked me up a few times when i faked sick to get outta school.my point is that i 100% trust him....
      What should i do?... is there a way for me to go to court so that i could legally move out without running away... i'm not sure of alot of things,but i'm sure i wanna leave, and
      at this point i'll do whatever it takes. Even running away

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been getting talked about at home, it sounds like living there has been really tough on you. We are glad to hear that you have such a great support system with your aunt in Atlanta and the family friend that you feel so comfortable with. You are asking some really great questions about how you’d be able to legally move out and, although we’re not legal experts, we will do our best to share as much info as we can to help you decide your next steps.

Because we’re not legal experts, we are limited in how much information we have about how to legally move out. We can say that, if you’re thinking of taking legal steps, it’s a good idea to reach out to someone familiar with the laws in your state, like a local Legal Aid association. They would be able to give you specifics on the steps you would need to take and how long the process might take. If you do not know who to reach out to you, we would be happy to help you find local resources that can help you make an informed decision, just give us a call or send us a chat.

If you decide that running away is your best option, we’d like to share some of the information we do have about running away. Running away is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense in many states. What happens after a runaway report is made really depends on where you live. In some places, the police will actively look for a missing youth, and in others they’ll just take a report. If you are found with someone else, the people you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway or aiding and abetting a minor. All of this depends on where you live and how your local police department chooses to handle runaway reports. A good way to find out how your local police department would handle runaway reports is to call them at their non-emergency number. If you do not have that contact information, or if you are not comfortable reaching out to them, feel free to give us a call. We are here to help you stay as safe as possible regardless of what you decide to do. We can’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to listen and support you. We wish you all the best. Stay safe!

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

What exactly IS emotional abuse? I would like to know for future reference, and so I can also understand my situation.

Comment

Re: Re: Emotional abuse?

Thank you for reaching out and posting to the forum – that takes a lot of courage and strength. Emotional abuse is also sometimes referred to as psychological or mental abuse. Generally speaking someone is emotionally abused when things are said or done to them that are harmful – possibly resulting in trauma, anxiety, depression or many other negative effects. Each state has a legal definition of this type of abuse for purposes of reporting it. No one deserves to be hurt – in any way. Please know that we are here to listen and here to help if you want to discuss your situation in further detail. In addition to continuing dialogue with us, there is another resource you may want to check out called Childhelp www.childhelp.org. Again, thank you for posting to this forum. Hopefully we were able to answer your question a bit, but there is of course much more that can be said – so please do not hesitate to continue this conversation.

Comment

Emotional abuse

I am 18 years old and will be turning 19 in march. I have been having troubles with my mom at home and I really want to move out. I havw been emotionally and mwntally abused and i have reached breaking point. My aunt has offered to take me in as she knows exactly what has been happening at home. I am still in high school as I am a senior but I'm wondering if I leave do I have the right to go back for my stuff?

Comment

RE: Emotional abuse

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
                Best of luck,
                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X