No announcement yet.

Im 17 and I want to move out my mom's house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im 17 and I want to move out my mom's house

    I Live in Michigan,and I was wondering was it possible for me to move somewhere temporarily until I get a job and get my own place. I want to run away but, I know if I do that i have know where to go. I barely have friends I talk to where Im able to their house. I Don't like my family.I live with my mom and I'm just to the point where I Need to go. She finds every little thing to yell at me about.She makes me feel like I'm nobody except a Nanny/Cook/maid in Her house.I Can't Conversate with her Because she doesn't know how she's an aggressive talker and gets physical if she thinks i said something wrong to her.

  • #2
    Re: I'm 17 and I want to move out my mom's house

    Hi, there!

    Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline, where we’re here to listen, and here to help. It sounds very frustrating that you do not have the best relationship with your mom and your family that you deserve to have.

    As you may know, running away is a status offense. Due to your being a minor, leaving home is illegal due to your age. Since you are 17, you could ask the local police about their policy about 17 year olds who leave home. In some states, officers do not force a youth to return if they are in a safe place. Additionally, other options for 17 year olds who want to legally leave is emancipation. This is where you show the courts that you know how to take care of yourself.

    As far as places to go for teens who may not have somewhere to go, you could look into the Covenant House Shelter. Since you are 17, though, any shelter may have to at least tell your mom that you are there, even if they have room for you to stay there. Their number is (313) 463-2000. There are other shelter options on this website:

    Feel free to call us or chat with us so we can hear more about your situation and brainstorm your options. It is great too that you are looking for a job so that you can soon get your own place. Perhaps there are also youth employment organizations in Michigan as well that can help you find what you are looking for.


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp