No announcement yet.

Smoking Problems.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smoking Problems.

    My case is not extremely serious like some. Some get beaten, Harassed, Etc. My problem is smoke. My mother and her fiancée both smoke very heavily, I'm not exaggerating when I say they smoke more than 2 packs each day.A major problem is that each day I go to school I smell like smoke & perfume dosent always mask it.I'd like to know what the lowest age is that you can move out with a grandmother. I'm currently 14.

  • #2
    RE: Smoking Problems.

    Hello there –

    Thank you for reaching to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. We hope that by helping you on our public forum that others that might be in similar situations or the same questions, can read through and find our reply helpful.

    We answer this question a lot on this forum and you have probably read through the other threads that ask the same question you are asking right now. So like we tell a lot of our callers and/or people that email us, the laws on that specific subject of just leaving home and/or running away vary from state to state. We are not at all legal experts so what we tell you may or may not be what will happen to you specifically. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. If your parents successfully file a runaway report, your parents can press charges on that family that you are staying with for harboring a runaway, but only when they are not giving accurate information on your whereabouts. So basically if they were helping you hide from the police and covering up for you. That could lead to a number of different legal issues such as misdemeanor charges (fines or jail charges).

    And lastly your parents may give you permission to live with another family (i.e grandmother), but without getting an official document from the court your parents would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that they can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again.

    Call us if you need further help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp