No announcement yet.

My mother won't help me get my birth certificate

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My mother won't help me get my birth certificate

    Hello, I know a young man who is in need of his personal documents. He has no social security card, birth certificate or id.
    He has asked his mother for the use of her id so that he may get his birth certificate but she refuses to help him with this.
    Without his personal information, he is unable to apply for jobs, go to school or handle any important stuff like voting if need be.
    How can I help him get this information he needs? Is there someone I can call who can assist him with his dilemma?

    Thank you in advance

  • #2
    RE: My mother won't help me get my birth certificate

    Hello Tishe,

    Thanks for reaching out in support of this young man. It can be a struggle to get IDs and documents without support. We are not legal experts or experts on the many laws about obtaining birth certificates. The National Network for Youth has put together a helpful resource to help youth get IDs in every state, which you can access here:
    He will probably have to contact the office of vital records in his area, as well as the Social Security Office. You can always pass our number along to him as well. We are looking forward to hearing from him, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I need help getting my hands on my birth certificate and social security and i.d. I have tried asking my legal parents for them so i can work and they refused i am younger than 18 im more than welcome to pay for them to come in the mail or however i can get them back.


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there! Thanks for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. We're sorry to hear that your legal parents won't provide you with your birth certificate, social security card, or ID. That must be incredibly frustrating, especially because you want access to them in order to work. Unfortunately in a lot of states, you do need parental consent in order to get those items. You may also need their consent in order to work, so if that's the primary reason you want them, it might be a good idea to determine if you can even work without their consent first.

        If you'd like more information on your state's laws regarding requirements in getting some of those items, you can reach out to us by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us at We're available through both 24/7, and will be better able to answer specific questions through phone/chat.

        Take care.

    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp