Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to run away if you are being abused.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang my mom hits me with chairs Crockett hammers and other things that will for a fact hurt me

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad you have decided to reach out to us today.
      Oh wow you do not deserve to be treated like that and what you have described sounds like abuse. You do have the right to make an abuse report and there are a few ways to go about doing that. One option would be to talk with a school counselor, because they are mandated reporters they would be required to file a report. You can also call Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and they would be able to help with filing a report. Lastly, you can always call or chat with us and we would be able to help you with filing a report.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available to you 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
      NRS

Hello, I am asking you because this is the only place I know to ask...my friend has been kidnapped..what do I do..I can’t call the police...

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they may be in danger. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them. We understand you don’t want to contact police, but if your friend has been kidnapped and you have valuable information, you may be able to help find them and bring them back to safety. If you don’t want to reach out, you could talk to an adult you trust or call us and we can help you call the police.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
      Take care,
      NRS

i’m 16 year old, and my parents are extremely emotionally abusive. i want to leave and stay with a family memeber for a short time, till they will talk with me and we can get this figured out. i truly love them but i cant be in this house but i am scared of what the laws will do. and to what extent they can take this. i have a scholarship on the line and don’t want to risk it but i can’t be in this house any longer. i live in nebraska and want to know my options.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like there is a lot that you are faced with at home and you feel leaving is your best option. It seems you want to know more about runaway laws. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this.

The age of majority in Nebraska is 19 which is the age an individual is able to leave home without permission. If you leave home as a minor, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, and you would not be arrested. It is a status offense though which means your parents can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. In the event you were returned home, the runaway report would not go on your permanent record.

You mentioned wanting to stay with a family member only temporarily and plan on having a calm conversation with your parents when they are ready. This was a very thoughtful and well-planned out idea. If you do decide to pursue this plan, perhaps your family member can help you communicate your needs to your parents. If you are able to call our hotline, 1-800-786-2929, we can also facilitate a conference call between you and your parents and advocate for your needs. It might be helpful to consider both the pros and the cons, the benefits and the possible consequences, while considering if you are ready and wanting to pursue this idea. We are available 24/7 by phone and live chat if you would like to talk more!

Be safe and good luck,
      NRS

my stepmom threatens to kill me and i know i should runaway but i do not know if its legal for a 12 year old to runaway

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a really scary situation at home, and it’s really brave of you to reach out for help. We are here to support you in any way we can. You do not deserve to endure emotional or physical abuse.

If you feel like you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

If you feel that you are unsafe at home and need somewhere to stay, there is an organization called National Safe Place that might be able to help you find a safe place to go. Text the word "safe" and your current address to 44357 or go to www.nationalsafeplace.org for more information.

We may be able to help you better by hearing more details about your situation and how we can help specifically. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), or you can use our chat at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Stay safe and we hope to hear from you soon.

My mom verbally abuses me and my little brother(calls us dumb, fat, stupid, etc.) He's 5 ( male )and I'm 11 ( gender non-conforming ) , i want to call the police but i don't want her to go to jail, and i'm not even sure if verbally abusing your children is even a crime. Running away with my brother seems like the only option, but im too afraid.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mom.  Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise.  Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation.  That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share.  Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead.  The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X