No announcement yet.

I need answers, please

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need answers, please

    Hi. So I'm just confused about some things and I was hoping I could get some help and hopefully soon. I plan on getting emancipated but I know it can be a long and tedious process therefor I want to stay somewhere else during this process. This is a situation where my emancipation will not include parental consent so I know they will not allow me to leave or go to file for emancipation. Considering I'm only 15 it makes me unable to leave home without parental consent and if I do my parents can tell the police I ran away etc. I just want to know if there's a way to stay with someone I know until my emancipation process finishes and avoid having police search for me and/or bring me home. Thank you.

  • #2
    Re: I need answers, please


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like home is not a place you want to be and you are reaching out to figure out what is best for you. It also sounds like you have been doing a lot of research and have decided that emancipation in what you want. Here at NRS we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

    It looks like you have some information on what happens if you were to leave home without your parents’ consent, such as them going to the police to file a runaway report. Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Just to recap on what runaway away is. Generally, you are an adult at the age of 18 and if you were to leave home before then your parents have the option of filing a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. This means that it is not illegal for you to leave home. If you are found the police will bring you back home and the runway report is removed. Where it can become illegal is for those that are helping you leave or are allowing you to stay with them. That is called harboring a runaway and the severity of that offense varies from state to state.

    You are interested in emancipation, and generally during the process you may still have to stay at home because they are still your guardians and the court has not ruled otherwise. Essentially, emancipation is when you prove to the court that you are able to provide for yourself and can be your own legal guardian before the age of 18. It is a lengthy process and can cost a lot of money. Since we are not legal experts we can only speak in general terms. Many states a youth cannot apply for emancipation until the age of 16. You may be able to contact your local police for more information. If you would like to give us a call on our hotline or chat with us via our website we can look up legal aid in your area and refer you to someone who can give you legal advice.

    We hope this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can give us a call or chat with us. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp