Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do?

I'm 16, about to be 17, and I live at home with my mom, 2nd stepfather, half sister, and step brother. I'm the oldest child, and I'm always disregarded or neglected. My mother refuses to take me to get my license, which I need to make the commute back and forth to work and school. My mother and I are constantly fighting, and she's always trying to make me feel guilty even though she says I "can talk to her about anything", and she'll "never judge or demean me." But every time I try to tell her how I'm feeling, or ask her to listen to how I'm feeling about she's treating me, she tries to make me feel guilty for feeling the way I do about how she treats me. She'll blow me off if we have plans, but if its something with her and one of my siblings, she'll go out of her way to do whatever it is they need. My stepbrother just moved in with us a few weeks ago, and she took him to get his license three days into him being here. He's six months younger than me, and he already has his license three months into him being 16. I turn 17 in a month and 26 days, and I have my own car (That I bought with my own money, mind you), and I pay most of the bills in the house since my mother got laid off in may. My parents now clean condos for a living, which is not even kind of enough money to support 5 people. So i'm working 6-8 hour shifts almost every night, plus 15-17 hour shifts on the weekends, and I'm paying the bills, cleaning our house, cooking food for us, making sure that my siblings are up and on the bus on time and in bed asleep on time, along with getting myself up and ready for both school and work. My mother calls me several different things, most of which are hurtful to my already-low self-esteem. She calls me lazy and a whore, among other things. I am always being degraded by them, and They never say thank you for anything that I do. I'm tired of playing mom and housewife and scullery maid. I want to petition for emancipation, but I'll never get parental consent and my home situation will get worse if i ask. What do I do?

Re: What do I do?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things have been so tough for you at home. It sounds like you’ve put a lot of effort into supporting your family and you feel that it’s not made the situation at home any easier on you. It sounds like you’ve looked into emancipation but you’re concerned about the repercussions if you have to get consent to be emancipated. We’re not legal experts, but we will share as much info as we can to help you decide how to approach your situation.

In your message, you identified concerns with approaching your parents for consent with emancipation. It may help to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state to find out whether there are possible alternatives to emancipation beyond obtaining parental consent. If you do not know who to reach out to, give us a call or send us a chat and we can look up a Legal Aid resource in your area that might be able to help. If you decide that staying home is an option for you, perhaps it would help to explore ways to help yourself destress. It sounds like living at home with all of the responsibilities you have puts a lot of pressure on you. Exploring ways to destress may be a way to help you manage your home situation, given that you feel your mom isn’t open to hearing you out. Whatever you decide to do, know that we will be here to support you.

Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Know that we’re here to listen and support you in whatever you decide to do. We wish you the best of luck. Stay safe!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X