Just considering running away..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just considering running away..

I'm practically 17 years old birthdays in a month and running away was always in my head after any kind of fight with my parents but now its more and more appealing to me.

I'm honestly not a bad kid.. I get good grades in school i like to hang out with my friends on the weekends and sometimes i ca do things i know i shouldn't do but thats really irrelavent to the situation. I've really never given my parents a reason to not trust me about anything and i like to spend any weekend time with my friends which normally they have no problem with.

I just feel like they treat me like a child tho.. In a years time i'll be an adult and i just wanna have fun before things get serious and im busy with college. This weeks my spring break but the friends i wanted to hang out with go back to school tomorrow and I told my parents that they had another day off tomorrow. They found out i was lying and came and got me.

They then said they couldn't trust me and i had to stay home now for 2 weeks, i couldn't go anywhere and i have to do a list of chores each day during my spring break. They also said they were going to start making me come home from my friends house each night (instead of sleeping over) and they would ask each of my friends parents if it was ok to stay there. Not only does this make me feel like a child but its not like i've ever done anything before and this is just irrational.. Came off during the whole discussion with a sort of "i dont care" attitude because in the back of my mind i was practically certain that i would runaway.

I know it seems like a stupid reason but I just want more respect.. I need my independence.. And the only reason i lied was because i knew they would say no without a single thought, and i figured i might have a chance by lying. Truthfully I hate being alone.. My parents work all day and i dont do anything at home as it is.. The time i have with my friends is the only escape my mind gets from this prison.. I'm just soo bored and Running away really seems like a sweet deal right now..

((Sorry if its a bit long.. Just needed to get it all off my chest and writting is the best way i can do it..))

Re: Just considering running away..

Thanks for writing on our bulletin boards. We’re glad we could be a safe space where you could vent and get all this off your chest. It sounds like you’re feeling a little stifled at home. This is definitely a tough feeling to have and one that many youth start to feel, especially as they approach 18. You wrote that you feel like your parents are still treating you like a child and you feel like you need independence. Have you ever been able to express this to them? If so, how did they react? Did anything change after this conversation? If you haven’t talked to them about it, what’s stopping you? Can you think of a way that you could have such conversation in a way that may help your parents understand what you’re feeling?

You also mentioned that after any fight with your parents you feel like running away. What’s stopped you from leaving in the past? Running is definitely a big decision, so it’s great that you’re really thinking through it. You may have seen these, but here are 10 great questions to ask yourself before making the decision to runaway:

• What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    • What would make me stay at home?
    • How will I survive?
    • Is running away safe?
    • Who can I count on to help me?
    • Am I being realistic?
    • Have I given this enough thought?
    • What are my other options?
    • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    • When I return home, what will happen?

These questions can be helpful when thinking through the reality of and the consequences of running. However, we’re not here to tell you not to runaway nor to runaway. We simply want to be a place that you feel free to express your feelings, talk through your options and help you come up with a plan that you’re comfortable with. Now that you’ve found our website, we hope you know that you can call us anytime 24/7 to talk more about what’s going on. We’d be happy to listen to you, answer any questions about running you may have and look for local resources should you need them (counseling, shelters, drop-in centers, etc).

Is there anyone else that you’ve talked to about this desire to leave your house? If so, how did they react? Are there any adults in your life that you’d be comfortable discussing your concerns with? Sometimes it helps to talk through a plan with someone you trust.

We hope you’re able to figure out a solution that works for you. We’re here for you if you ever want to talk more about any of this. In the meantime, we hope you stay safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X