No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old and want to runaway from home.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 years old and want to runaway from home.

    I am a 17 year old here a California and I need to get out of my house. I live in a household where my parents are mentally abusive and sometimes even physically abusive. I have always been a great student in school and have participated in all the activities you could think of. I am currently in my Junior year and things kinda fell apart. I started hanging out with a new group of friends who maybe weren't the best influences on me. I wanted to rebel for my parents were VERY strict. Now many people would think, "She's just a teenage girl and she's over exaggerating." In reality I'm not. They lock down everything, from my phone to laptop. Privacy is not something my parents have because they want me to come to them when I have problems, but when I do I'm told that I'm a dissapointment for decisions I made or I'm worthless. My step-dad has even told me he regrets adopting me. I started acting out from this and began drinking a bit and even smoked weed once. My parents recently found out about these things and locked me down. No phone, no electronics, I can drive to school and from home, no contact with any friends good or bad, and no one in my family is allowed to know I'm being punished. My parents, rather than listening or helping me called me worthless, a slut, a drug addict, an alcoholic, and even a waste of a human being.They threw me into to a threapists arms and said that now I'm hr problem. My parents said I will live like this till my 18 birthday which is a year from now and I need to leave. This life isn't healthy being tormented by my parents and getting hit by my mom when she's had too much to drink. I have a friend who is 20 who's offered their home to me if I runaway and I would stay in school and keep the job I have. I need guidance though on what to do. Can I runaway?

  • #2
    Re: I'm 17 years old and want to runaway from home.

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you are going through a lot right now because of the way your parents treat you. We are so sorry to hear the way your parents treat you and we are here to help you however we can. You don’t deserve to be abused in anyway. In regard to your question about leaving home, we aren’t legal experts, but in the case of leaving to live with a friend there is a risk. If your parents file a runaway report, there is the risk of the authorities getting involved and your friend being charged with harboring a runaway. Although running away isn’t illegal, it is just something you can’t do because in California to be legally considered an adult, one must be 19. The National Domestic Violence Hotline (1 800 799 7233) is a resource you can call to discuss the type of abuse going on at home as well as the Alcohol & Drug Helpline (1 206 722 3700) as you mentioned your mom and her drinking as well as your own. These lines can offer some advice and help if you would like. We are always here to listen as well and you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or talk on our online chat line. We are here 24/7 and are confidential. We can definitely go through your options and discuss more if you would like. Hope to hear from you soon!
    Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp