No announcement yet.

If I run away where can I go?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I run away where can I go?

    My parents abuse me verbally and emotionally and I just want to run away to somewhere I can be happy!

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It seems like you are dealing with a very difficult situation with your parents.

    Your options might depend on your age. We are not legal experts, but I can give you some information on what might happen. If you are under 18 years old, running away would be considered a status offense. This means that it is prohibited because of your age. It isn’t technically illegal, and it won’t come up on your permanent record. However, if you do leave without parental consent, your parents can go to the local police station and file a runaway report. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while you are reported as a runaway, they will likely return you home. It is also possible that a legal adult ho allows you to stay with them could be charged with harboring a runaway. There may be shelters available in your area for you to stay as well. These would be a short-term solution until you make plans for a long-term arrangement. You also may need parental consent to stay in some of these shelters. If you have more questions or would like to talk in more detail, please all or chat with us soon. Our phone number is 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also go to and click the chat button.

    Be safe, and good luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp