Parents wont help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents wont help

Recently I had to go to the doctor because I was having heart problems.. I thought maybe I was having anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor, he told me I have PTSD and possibly depression and/or anxiety. They gave me some packets to fill out and return to them so that they could figure something out.. like whether i needed to see a counselor or something.. Well a week later I was getting ready to go back for my check up and my mom had cancelled it.. she said we needed to reschedule. I was fine with that, I just wanted it to be soon.. I really wanted help. My stepdad didn't seem very concerned.. my heart problems subsided so he thought everything was fine. My mom kept putting off going back to the doctor with my papers.. well.. this all happened 2 months ago. Since then I've gotten in fights with my best friend and we are currently not speaking.. I think about suicide all the time.. I've never acted on these thoughts though. I also think about running away to California where one of my past teachers live.. He is like a father figure to me. I email him all the time. I keep telling my mom to go give those papers to the doctor.. I keep telling her I need help. I want help. I go to her and cry and practically beg her to get me help.. and she puts it off.. I feel like they just don't care. My stepdad thinks I'll be fine. I have no idea what my mom thinks. I think she is hesitant because she can't afford to pay for counseling.. and my school counselors are horrible. I've never heard of them ever helping anyone. I'm desperate. And my friends can't help.. they try to make me happy.. but they really don't understand what I'm going through. I've dealt with abuse from my mom's previous husband. And I live in a very naive, Mormon community.. It's like everyone has perfect lives.. And I'm stuck with nowhere to go and no one to talk to. I don't know what to do..

Re: Parents wont help

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It must have taken a lot to reach out when you are in such a difficult situation. We are sorry to hear that you may have PTSD, depression, or anxiety. It must be hard to cope with a doctor telling you that. You sound like a very brave person to want to get help so badly. We are not mental health professionals, but if you would like to let us know what city and state you are in, we can do our best to provide local referrals for counseling if you would like. It sounds like you feel as though your family is not taking your concern seriously. You stated that your step-dad thinks you will be fine, but you are not sure about your mom. How do you think she would react if bring it up?

You stated that you had thought about running away to California. How would you survive and what would your plan be? We are not legal experts here, but generally it is not considered illegal to run away. However, most states recognize it a crime to harbor a runaway. What this means is that if your parents do not agree with who you stay with, that person(s) could potentially get in trouble. Many states also have laws against contributing to the delinquency of a minor whether through providing money or other assistance. Are these risks you are willing to take? What about things like school?

You also mentioned that you think about suicide, but that you have never acted on those thoughts. It must take a lot of inner strength when you feel so depressed. In what other ways do you cope with these thoughts? What makes you feel better? If it is ever to the point where you are serious, there are two suicide hotlines: 1-800-SUICIDE and 1-800-273-TALK and of course you are always welcome to talk to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Even if you are not suicidal, but would just like to talk, you can call us at anytime. We are anonymous, confidential and in no position to tell you want to do or judge you. In the mean time, we hope you stay safe. Good luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I would really appreciate it if you could show me something local that could help..

It seems like whenever I bring up counseling to my mom she gets distant. Like she doesn't want to deal with it because she has too many other things on her mind.. I don't know how to get through to her. She acts like all the help I need I can get from just talking to her.

If I ran away to California I would have a place to stay and the person I would stay with would make sure I could go back to school, even if it's just online. My parents would not be happy with me running away.. and if they knew where I was they would make me come home. But I know that they wouldn't press charges against who I was with. But.. I don't think I can run away. I couldn't leave my little sister here. She looks up to me. But as soon as I turn 18 next year I'm leaving.. No matter what.

Comment

Here are some resources local to you in Idaho Falls. Many provide counseling and some even have youth shelters if things get too tough to stay at home. The way that would work would be they would generally have to obtain parental consent/ notification anywhere from immediately to 72 hours. The goal is generally family reunification and may even require family counseling during your stay. We are not saying you have to go to a shelter, but it can sometimes be an alternative option for youth who need a break from home.

Harbor House
        (20 529-6696

It seems like you are really interested in counseling so we have also provided some referrals for that as well. Many of the resources in our database are no fee or sliding scale fee, but if you have insurance already that may be something to mention as well.

Clayton Counseling Service
        (20 523-8721

Family Care Counseling Center
        (20529-8832

Eastern Idaho Division of Community Services
        (20529-6696

As far as your plan, it sounds like you have decided to wait until you are 18 to leave. It sounds like you are close to your younger sister and do not want to leave her. It sounds like you also serve as her role model which sounds very rewarding. We hope you are able to find a counselor you can connect to and if you need anything else remember we can be reached 24/7 at our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY. Stay safe!

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X