No announcement yet.

Home issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Home issues

    Hi I’m currently 17 living with my parents in California. my parents are something else. No good parenting skills. my father has money issues and my mother has bi polar disorder. I want to leave home as soon as possible. I know I’m under 18 and I can’t technically leave home. I just have a class to finish in high school and my parents won’t let me finish high school early. I’m trying to enroll into the military but I can’t enter without finishing school. And my parents are restricting me from finishing early. How can I leave home? I really don’t want to be here anymore this house is literally creating depression and anger inside me. I can’t stand another couple months

  • #2
    Hey there,

    We're sorry to hear things are so rough at home right now. It makes sense that you would want the situation to change, perhaps by leaving it altogether. It's great you are opening up about it and looking for help, though.

    You are correct that you are a minor till you are 18. If you leave home before then your parents could file a runaway report on you. Running away isn't a crime, but it is a status offense similar to breaking curfew. If found, the police could detain you until they release you to your parents. We never tell anyone what to do, but we do share that fact to help inform whatever you decide.

    There are two other ways you may be able to leave home before 18. One way would be to simply get permission from your parents to live elsewhere. Perhaps you can approach them about this, framing it in such a way that will appeal to them. Another way you can leave home legally would be to file for emancipation through the California court system. Emancipation sometimes is a lengthy process and it requires getting a lawyer. We aren't legal experts, but we can point you to some resources that may help answer questions about emancipation further for you. Here are a couple agencies you can call for legal advice in California:

    Legal Services for Children: 1-888-292-4252
    Alliance for Children's Rights: 1-213-368-6010

    We hope this information helps. Of course, you can call us anytime to brainstorm some more ideas. Perhaps there are other options we can come up with through a dialogue. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and we are here 24/7 and are confidential. You also can chat with us online via the portal at Just so you know, we also have a large database of resources (shelters, transitional living programs, counselors) that may prove helpful to you now or in the future.

    Take care,
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp