Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 need to leave home, no job, no options

I'm 18 and things at home have been ok but recently things arent going good. I'v had to take online school to help around the house which has been even harder for me to get a job. My dads been threatening to sell my dog but he's an emotional depended for me so I can't really leave him behind. A couple months ago my sister (who is mentally unstable) tried to kill my dad, she stabbed him in the arm and after she was coming for me. Police came and arrested her while my dad went to the hospital. She spent a couple days in jail and then a couple weeks in the mental hospital, she was released a couple weeks ago and was living with my mom. Now she's living with my dad and me and I honestly feel unsafe, the first couple minutes she was home things have been getting heated and I'm afraid she'll snap again. I have no where to go especially with my dog but I also don't know what to do anymore my dad leaves for work the majority of the day so it leaves the both of us home alone and I just need a solution asap and I certainly don't have any money or a quick way of getting it. I was going to hang in there till college but I don't see that as an option anymore.

re: 18 need to leave home, no job, no options

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us. You seem really worried about what your sister would possibly do now that she is living with you and your dad. That's understandable to be concerned, based on what happened previously. It sounds like you're trying to make some strides towards independence, but it's been a struggle. Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Sincerely,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X