Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18, No Job, No Options

So I graduated high school a few months ago and I just turned 18. I've been doing everything I can to get a job (putting in applications, checking with all the local places, etc.) but I haven't had any luck; no interviews or anything.
    I've been checking my email constantly for replies from companies I've applied to, but I've had no response of any kind. This is already frustrating, as I'm doing all I can to get myself employed, but I'm seriously just not having any luck.
    This morning my mother informed me that I "need to actually try" to get a job, as if I haven't been doing my best already. She informed me that my father is going to try and charge me $200 in four days, so I need to somehow get a job and $200 by then? Obviously, that's ridiculous and utterly improbable, if not impossible.
    My parents have been extremely aggressive towards me lately, yelling at me for my slightest mistakes and making me really want to run away.
    However, I'm 18. I can't file child abuse, I can't call Child Protective Services, and I can't "run away" because I'm an adult now.
    I just don't know what to do. I need the shelter my parents provide to keep my pet cat safe and fed, and I certainly can't go sleeping on the street, so I feel like I have no options.
    I'm not sure what will happen to me if I can't give my dad $200 in four days.

RE: 18, No Job, No Options

Hello there,

We’re so sorry to hear what life has been like for you lately. It sounds really hard. Thanks for posting on our forum today, it shows us you really are trying to find a job and are just getting frustrated. We want you to know we think you’re really courageous for coming to us today, asking for help can be really difficult.

Sometimes it can be really hard for parents to understand what your generation is going through. Job searching is certainly not the same as it has been for them when they were your age. It sounds really overwhelming to deal with. If you think it could help, we’d like to offer you the option of a conference call with one of your parents. We could try to help you speak your mind and hopefully arrive at some mutual understanding. We’re here 24/7, so if you feel like this might be a good option to try, give us a call here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we’ll help you set it up.

Since you’re having a hard time finding a job, we thought we’d share a resource you might find helpful. It’s called Job Corps and they’re a vocational job training program for youth 21 and under. You can check to see if there’s a program near you at www.jobcorps.gov .

If you’d like, you could give us a call just to discuss your feelings about what you’ve been experiencing. Sometimes it helps to just vent about your situation to someone who won’t judge or tell you what to do. We’re confidential as well.

Stay strong,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X